1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STANDARD Vs BLUEFIN

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by EAGLE79, Apr 22, 2008.

1. lil_coz

lil_coz Active Member

[Apr 23, 2008]
    20hp is quite a lot! But the other thing that I've wondered about is that the same engine in FWD and quattro has the same readings in Audi's book which then makes me think that readings ARE taken at the flywheel! I just dont see why they would say that it produces less HP. Surely its a bigger selling point? Or maybe its to try and keep insurance costs down for drivers?

Coss
  2. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Apr 23, 2008]
    Bingo!

Marketing and politics!

I remember the old Pug GTI6 they used to do there 0-60 times with a full tank of fuel and four adults on board!:yahoo:

p
  3. lil_coz

lil_coz Active Member

[Apr 23, 2008]
    Blimey! Well in which case I'm going to go out and get myself a 100HP RS6!!! :w00t:
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Member

[Apr 23, 2008]
    Well that doesnt surprise me at all!

Although i would love to see your car peform against mine (which is chipped by GIAC)
    The reason i say this is because i originally had the bluefin map put on my car last year thinking it had made a difference, until i realised how little a difference it felt with the map taken off, which prompted me to try out the GIAC map just out of curiosity, and after 15 seconds in the car i realised i had wasted my money on bluefin, as the GIAC map totally blew it out of the water, the performance was fantastic.

I do not work for GIAC, just a very satisfied customer
  5. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Apr 24, 2008]
    Its a long story but the main reason for using bluefin this time was price, I was offered a superb deal by SC to regain my custom plus a couple of hours free dyno time to trial some new files which resulted in excellent total power outputs, the files were also manipulated so bespoke rather than generic to cater for my requirements as I had concerns about getting the power down in a FWD car. The boost etc was rolled back in the first couple of gears to make allowance for wheel spin etc.

For the S3 I would still have a preference for the GIAC software but for the standard 2.0T there was less information available on the main GIAC website and few reviews for comparison so with the generous offer made by Jamie the tech director at Superchips plus my desire for some actuated dyno results there was no other choice IMO in the case of the TT.

I plan to post the plots and a small review once I've lived with the map a few weeks as my minimal mileage doesn't lend itself to an accurate opinion before then but so far so good.

The figures claimed on the day were 260 bhp at 6,300 rpm up from 221bhp at 6,100rpm. The important thing for me was a 39 bhp gain not the peak figures, the car feels keen and eager from early on and is very grin inducing but mainly because a heavy foot is greeted by flashing traction lights and mild torque steer, I shouldn't like this but I love it, it's a hoot :)

On a dry road I wouldn't expect to be far behind the S3, on a damp road, well lets not go there....
  6. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Apr 24, 2008]
    Stock or GIAC'd ?

p
  7. RichC

RichC RAC 500W

[Apr 24, 2008]
    Im hoping he means a standard S3
  8. DemianM

DemianM RWD sucks!

[Apr 24, 2008]
    I feel practically the same about Bluefin. Last tuesday, we installed bluefin on my friend´s S3.
    The car feels a bit stronger, but not that much! We raced all night, swapped cars many times, and the difference was there, but not much! By 4th gear he was always 1 and a half cars in front. The main difference though, was at the shift points! The new software keeps the power going for one second after releasing the throttle, so the boost is still there! On each gear change, he would advance half a car, but then the difference remained the same.

Mind everyone, I am running 19 inch wheels and my friend´s car has the oem 18 inch ones.

That was the first night out, they say the map adapts a bit more but really I dont think it will be that radical. I will let you know how it goes!
  9. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Apr 24, 2008]
    definetly Stock, the GIAC'd S3 would leave me no problem but i'd be looking good in his rear view :)

From reading back through this thread it seems to me GIAC is the best option for the S3 with the overall majority being very pleased with the outcome regardless of any headline figures quoted.
  10. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Apr 24, 2008]
    Too true my mate , with your HEAD stylist by your side , and Laura by the Scissor sisters pumping out of the Bose! :lmfao:

Sorry my mate the joke was ripe for the picking!:thumbsup:

p
  11. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Apr 24, 2008]
    .....shaved head, leather peaked cap, perhaps a dog collar with those butch spikes....sounds good to me.

Whats wrong with the scissor sisters ?

LOL
  12. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Apr 24, 2008]
    ^^^^^^^^^^:angrymod:^^^^^^^^Your under arrest sugar!^^^^^^^^^^

Nowt....just not really my groove, if were talking POP music ( charts ) i can dig a bit of Gnarls Barkley and Amy Whinehouse!:thumbsup:

p
  13. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

[May 6, 2008]
    I've got the GIAC hammer map and Leon will testify there is a significant difference :)
  14. phantom

phantom On Boost

[May 6, 2008]
    I want to hear more on this , did you have a race?

p
  15. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[May 6, 2008]
    If he did I bet the GIAC car 'hammered' him :)
  16. phantom

phantom On Boost

[May 6, 2008]
    Maybe , but at this moment in time we don't know if leon's car is a " good one " :)

p