1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stalling with hill hold assist

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by McAudi, Apr 1, 2014.

1. McAudi

McAudi Member

[Apr 1, 2014]
    For the most part I love HHA. I pull away on a flat surface just fine but if I'm on a steep hill and with the engine off from the start/stop, I frequently stall the car. It seems too much to be able to restart the engine and release the breaks at the same time. With a manual handbrake, I have no problems at all, so it's not due to being a poor driver. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Regards,

Mark
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Apr 1, 2014]
    Just lead with the accelerator a bit. It happened a lot to me at first but I'm used to it now and it doesn't happen any more. I don't see why stop/start would have anything to do with it either, it's totally unrelated.
  4. Flibble

Flibble Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    Right foot flat to the floor, pop the clutch. Sorted. ;)
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    I did the same and it seems that with a cold engine it is even worse. I just found I needed to adapt my driving, as I came from cars that had anti-stall built in, in other words you could pull away without touching the throttle even up hills. Now I've stopped thinking about it hill starts are as smooth...
  6. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Apr 2, 2014]
    This post was approved by your favorite tire salesman ! :shutup2:
  7. McAudi

McAudi Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    Thanks for the advice.
  8. Coxy234

Coxy234 Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    For the first few months I had the same problem. And the same as you it only happened after start/stop. What worked for me was giving the car a few more seconds to recover from start stop before pulling off. It doesn't happen to me anymore, it just takes a little time to get used to it.
  9. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    Was taught to always give a little bit of gas whenver you pull off and not rely on "anti stall" technology so never had the problem myself
  10. cemerson

[Apr 2, 2014]
    I think my main problem was just adapting to a diesel from a petrol. The diesel requires a few more revs to pull away easily so you have to lead with the accelerator slightly, but the petrol could start pulling away without any throttle.
  11. McAudi

McAudi Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    Thanks for the responses. I'll just have to persevere and adapt my driving style.
  12. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Apr 2, 2014]
    Well it worked ok for me when driving my Mk4 Mondeo and with a car load of passengers their luggage and on a hill what ever way I was taught. It wasn't that I was dependant upon it as I have driven many cars with and without anti-stall and still do...
  13. stee800

stee800 Member

[Apr 15, 2014]
    Hi. Just wanted a bit of advice... I had an A6 courtesy car last week which from what I assumed by the logo on the button had hold assist as when I had come to a stop I didn't have to keep pressing the brake. I didn't actually press the button to activate this. So the thing is, I wanted to add hold assist to my A3 order but I just wanted to be sure that this is how it works and whether you have to press the button to activate it each time you get in the car or is it always activated?
  14. cemerson

[Apr 15, 2014]
    You have to turn it on with the button once only - it remembers your last setting when the ignition is switched off and on again.
  15. stee800

stee800 Member

[Apr 15, 2014]
    Thanks a lot, I'll definitely be adding it then!