Stale /musty smell from air vents

I got this canister that u open up like an areosol but keeps spraying untill empty.
You put it in the back behind seats and air con on full with the reciculation button pressed for 10min.
Supposed to kill stinky bacteria in vents.
Worked for me.

Got mine from gsf for 8quid

Reactions: quattrov6tdi
This usually only happens when you run the car through the winter in ECON mode. The climate control should be left on all year round, not just when its hot. It is climate control not aircon. If it's turned off for long periods the rubber seals dry out and crack and start to leak, plus you get bacteria build up and thus the stinky smell

+1 bacteria. You can get the aircon system flushed through and de-contaminated to get rid of the bacteria in the system and the smell. A lot of garages that re-gas your aircon can offer this service, I think its extra on top of the re-gas though, although I seem to remember a while back Audi main dealers offering the de-contaminate and re-gas for a reasonably low fixed price for them both done at the same time.

I used to get some not so nice smells when I turned my air con on also and read somewhere its due to the fact you constantly leave it on cold and bacteria builds up so quick fix you turn it to high leave it for a while and turn it off this will get rid of the awful smells and be a thing of the past.

This worked for mine and during the summer months I tend to whack it to hi for a couple of minutes every few weeks before I turn my car off and it hasn't happened in over 3 years! Ive had my car 6 years, never had it flushed or re-gassed and it still blows nice and cold when I need it (not that its that hot very often mind you!).

All good advice, it could also be a blocked evaporator drain.