Stage 1 to stage 2 - some logs

IPG

Reaction score
Hi all!

Have some logs here that i would like for people who understand them to have a quick look please. All done in 3rd WOT up to throttle cut off. Wanted to get an opinion as i'm pretty sure i've not got the bump in performance that i was looking forward to when going to stage 2...

& before FMIC & 3"DP
Before IC DP

Was hoping for a response already but might not be enough information so i'll put in my observations (and also some other information from other logs that i've taken but not put up here)

on map #1 (the old map) it looks like requested boost is higher and holds on longer than the stage 2 (#2) map.
doing the calculations the request. 3rd pic is the old map where requested boost is higher and holds for longer too...

Map #1 from 3200 rpm to 6440 - boost request hits 20 and stays above 18psi. Actual boost follows and i hit a peak of 21psi
Map #2 from 2240rpm to 6160 - boost request hits 20 and steadily reduces to 15psi (where i let off throttle because it feels "flat"). Actual peaks at 19

Map #1 max g/s = 201 (251bhp)
Map #2 max g/s = 199 (249bhp - i know not much difference but still would expect more from stage 2...)

Now i don't know if it's just me or if i was just expecting too much of a jump in performance but what do you guys think? I'm not sure if there should be a clear difference between 2 or 3 psi but i could definitely feel strong power for longer before getting the flash done to map #2. After adding the DP i noticed a further "push" toward 5-6k that isn't there since the re-flash...

Another screenshot of old map with PSI in the last columns (don't know why requested boost is so high early on...)

Old map

and a very recent couple of runs

New map

I am glad I don't understand - some things should stay secret. :D I hope someone makes sense of it all.

I thought stock S3 remap was usually between 240 and 265

there you go @schwartza3

feb 7th = old map
feb 15th = new map

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 20.27.45.JPG
    Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 20.27.45.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 163
Hi mate, I'm no expert on your engine but it looks like the n75 duty cycle is dropping off which may be due to increase in timing pull
your overall timing pull has gone from 12.2deg on the old map to about 16.6deg on the new map
n75 duty cycle held mid 90 throughout the rev range on the old map and it is dropping to mid-low 80% on the new map

please explain to me timing pull/n75 duty cycle? where is that information and how does it relate?

and you're saying a less timing pull = good & higher n75 duty cycle = good???

Timing pull/****** is just an adjustment to the ignition timing map, less timing pull is better, you wan't to see smaller numbers here.
No point advancing timing if it will be pulled back.

You can see your Ignition Timing BTDC (Block 003), on your old map at around 17-18deg BTDC you were getting some timing pull due to knock regulation (Block 20), on you new map there is more knock picked up on cylinder 2 & 4, I can't see your new ignition timing anywhere but it could be that your ignition timing is too aggressive on your new map. Might be a good idea to log this next time.
Timing pull could also be due to poor quality gas, higher AIT's - doubt you'll have this issue with your new FMIC, timing belt being being off, coolant temp too high, I've even heard it can also be due to stiffened up mounts where the knock sensors pick up extra vibrations, not sure if there's any truth to that one.

N75 duty cycle (block 118) is % of time the N75 is opened to vent air back into the intake/divert air away from the wastegate actuator.
0% duty cycle - air is flowing to wastegate actuator so westegate opens at actuator pressure
100% (I thing max is around 95% ) duty cycle - no air going wastegate actuator, WG stays shut so it can build up and hold boost.

Anyway, this is my interpretation of your logs, you probably want someone else to check over them.
Your log is showing the n75 duty cycle dropping off to mid-low 80%, meaning that some of the air is now flowing to the wastegate actuator which is pushing the WG open and reducing boost, this happens around the same time timing pull is occurring. You can rule out a faulty N75 valve since your actual boost is meeting the requested. I think whats happening is that ecu is seeing more knock and therefore wanting to reduce boost in order to prevent it and as a result your requested boost is less than before (reducing to 15psi)

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty_24 and IPG
too good!
thanks for giving me that explanation and i feel i'm going in the right direction in not using this tune