Stage 1 S5 wheel spin in the wet on launch??

talZONEldave68

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can put my mind at ease. I recently bought a 2012 S5 3.0 running at 415bhp. I love the car (apart from the fuel consumption) it is seriously quick off the line, a lot quicker than my E92 335i runnng at 370bhp. Tonight I launched it in the wet and got significant wheel spin, is that normal with it being Quattro?
I once owned a Volvo S60R (4 wheel drive) the diff wasn’t working and it was actually running front wheel drive from day 1. Hope it hasn’t happened again, it grips great in the dry. Any advice welcome. Cheers

Yup, I can get wheel spin in my stage 2 S5. Cold greasy roads and a bit of right foot and you can get wheel spin. Depends what you mean by "significant" but I am now used to mine twitching when going over white lines at full power....

What tyres is it running?. Some newer quality tyres, Michelin Pilot sport 4 recommended would definitely help. But as stated above 400 plus bhp and poor road conditions will still probably lead to some wheel spin at times.

Yup, I can get wheel spin in my stage 2 S5. Cold greasy roads and a bit of right foot and you can get wheel spin. Depends what you mean by "significant" but I am now used to mine twitching when going over white lines at full power....
Cheers, yes the roads are a bit slippy tonight it’s cold here in Manchester. I’m guessing if there was something wrong with the Quattro system there would be some kind of warning, a code or something? Thought I was over reacting was just remembering how much the Volvo cost me to sought out

What tyres is it running?. Some newer quality tyres, Michelin Pilot sport 4 recommended would definitely help. But as stated above 400 plus bhp and poor road conditions will still probably lead to some wheel spin at times.

I have Pirelli P zero Rossos but they are getting a big low. Just had spacers put on and new Eibach springs, completely transformed how the car looks and to a lesser extent how it feels. Cheers

I'm on PS4S's and still get twitchiness.... But I'm closer to 500hp than 400 ;)

Only had them on for 2000 miles. Better than the Conti Sport Contact 3's that were on before. Quieter and hold the road quite a bit better.

Oh and the car is going in to get some more horses next weekend ;)

Reactions: RS5 JON
I live in manc also. Am standard map but not hardware. Very much behind in the bhp figure. I have s3 8p. And even with the ps4 tyres i had one slight wheel spin once. Think it was the road surface to be honest

@talZONEldave68 - your car as a fully mechanical* AWD system based on the Torsen design (although it has a Crown centre differential) so it would require probably 2 drastic failures to become 2WD. As I understand it your Volvo S60R uses the Haldex system which employs an electronically-controlled clutch to transfer torque to the rear diff and so indeed a single point of failure can turn such a car into FWD.

(@Kaine19 's car has Haldex which is prone to initial wheel spin because it starts off fully 2WD before the clutch closes and sends torque to the rear. There's a great video somewhere on YouTube which shows this on an S3 or RS3).

I admit I don't have extensive experience of different tyres but my B5 S4 was delivered on Pirellis which I never liked (mainly due to tramlining) so I changed to Michelin PS which were so much better that I stuck with the brand, going on to PS2s and then PS3s. My S5 was also delivered on Pirellis. They don't seem too bad but there is a little tramlining and I too have experienced more wheel spin than I would like. I shall be changing them to PS4s when the time comes.

BTW I have to be a nerd and state that peak power is not relevant for this issue because even using LC the engine revs won't be high enough. You might be close to peak torque though...

*excluding the sports diff which has electronically-controlled clutch packs

Reactions: surfer8210
Yep haldex system, which works great at the minute even with this awful rain i dont get the traction light. These ps4 prob help. Fantastic tyre