Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Mmm you know Stacey I've learnt so much by reading your thread! I'm thinking of going for a .63 AR housing for less lag! You coming to bills dyno day? Be good to a you there mate!

Hopefully will be coming to bills dyno day providing can get the day off and I haven't dived into ripping the car apart ;)

I may end up changing to a .63 housing if mine turns into lag city but with the 2.0 displacement with reasonable comp 9-9.5cr, slightly smaller runners on the Mani than the average tubular Mani should hopefully aid spool but won't know until it's physically run but expect it shouldnt be to bad

Don't go to a .63. I had one on mine and you can see it on the dyno plot that it died off near the top end thats why mine didn't rev well

your lucky you have a V band for your turbo so i would say try a Pag Parts .72 housing, Everyone on Vortex forum raves on about how good they are as they say that the .82 is a tad big for road use some, I'm happy with how my .82 performs but i do have a tad more cc than you

As Bill said .63 for a 1.8 and .82 for a 2.0 or above.

Pag made the .72 to get the best of both worlds

d03657d9-c807-8993.jpg

Ahh never knew the .72 existed cheers mate :)

My main goal of the build is to try and have a fairly responsive car with a good lump of power which is always a compromise but will wait and see where it ends up?

If it certainly seems a bit to laggy then will seriously be considering the .72 AR housing, if it was known when I bought it all I probably would have gone for the .72 but best bet is to see how it fairs up as if bill ends up battling surge to much then a smaller turbine housing I'm sure will probably be useless?

Used a 0.82 on the stroker LCR... that worked fine...
james-b14-b14vs4.jpg

<tuffty/>

Just out of curiosity can you remember what turbo that was on as presume it's not James as he made more than that iirc? :)

Just out of curiosity can you remember what turbo that was on as presume it's not James as he made more than that iirc? :)

This is one of James plots... not the final one I don't think... it was 460hp/390ftlbs iirc... HTA (billet) GT3071 with 0.82 Tial hotside... had boost creep issues and was FWD of course hence the boost delivery..

<tuffty/>

External gate and the runner off of the mani were to small iirc, I have got the same Mani but has bigger feed to the wastegate and will be running a 44mm tial rather than 38mm ;)

Ok just a little update for you mate

Managed to get rid of the flood water from the workshop after all the heavy rain we have had, Its back to work now so i managed to get a little done on your head.

Its now fully stripped down so nothing will get damaged or lost during the work or skim/steam clean at my friends workshop

Image0377_zpsfc7e09c4.jpg

Image0378_zpsa73eb974.jpg

Image0384_zps274c5e78.jpg

Cleaned up both inlet and exhaust faces so i can mark out the 37mm exhaust ports and match the inlets
Normally i take the exhaust ports out more than 37mm but that was the ID of the port Stacey's TSR manifold

Image0385_zps405ad9a1.jpg

Image0386_zps0d2bd710.jpg

Image0387_zpsb1d6ee5e.jpg

I'll be going at it fully on Sunday as i have a few other little things i need to get out of the way

Isn't it ideal to have a slight "step" from the port to the exhaust manifold (so the manifold is slightly larger) to stop gas reversion? That's what I've always read anyhow...

looking good. Jealous of the TSR manifold :)

Yes a little step will be there, the scrib marks are there for me as guide but that's just the entry of the port, there is much more needed doing to the shape of the port

Isn't it ideal to have a slight "step" from the port to the exhaust manifold (so the manifold is slightly larger) to stop gas reversion? That's what I've always read anyhow...

looking good. Jealous of the TSR manifold :)

Cheers mate I do love the Mani ;)

I've already now learnt my new thing for the day....one very good reason why Andrew is doing the head rather than me trying as I would have just smoothed the two ports together

Am hoping it will be an animal but definately think you'll have the upper hand on me at Bedford ;)

Have found my egts mainly increase really heavily when in the midrange of the revs as saw these figures last night on a b road in 4th 5th and 6th gears generally between 3500-5500 revs when it gets this high it starts to cause misfires, but have noticed they take longer to get up there and don't go quite as high if you really thrash it and take it to redline at 7300....so hopefully bedford if I drive like a lunatic I'll be alright lol

95795DC9-0DDB-4DDF-BFB7-5843D55108B2-563-000000BE08E4F6AA.jpg

Nice work Stacey! Looking forward to see the results with GTX30!

OT:You should compare the trap speeds which tells more about the performance of the car. 1/4 time just tells about the driver and the condition of clutch after run :lmfao:Or 100-200km/h time or 1mile trap speed..

wow thats a lot of material to be removed on the exhaust side!

Only if the exhaust manifold is larger... if the runners on the manifold aren't much larger than the ports then there is no benefit to enlarging them only opening up the insides a bit.. large port exhaust ports are larger as std than small port ones...

Not sure what the runner size is on Stacey's manifold off hand but JP and JNL ported the head on James's LCR that used the same manifold setup and didn't do much in the way of opening up the ports other than a port match IIRC...

Bill's race manifolds use a larger ID tube in their construction so benefit form having the ports matched to the gasket...

<tuffty/>

i always thought the exhaust ports were identical on large and small port heads. iv'e not even bothered to compare that side yet lol, only interested in the inlets. learn something new everyday.

Did you get the internal dimensions of the TSR exhaust mani from Stacey? prob worth dropping him a line..

<tuffty/>

Ahah i thought it would do is what im saying freddo...backed up by your results at inters.. obv after a quarter mile it will be a different story..

Definately a possibility it would certainly be close but mine wasn't running properly at inters with the DV letting air by causing me to run anywhere between 1.2-1.35 bar boost instead of 1.5-1.6

Really would like to give it a go on a strip before i pull the engine out and am replacing the friction plate so might as well finish off the one thats in there ;)

Any RWYB days coming up?

Anyhow little update :)

Downpipe is definately blowing again as can smell it in the cabin and can see that a couple of the studs have wound themselves out of the turbo housing......Cant wait for V-BANDS had enough of downpipe nuts studs and gaskets

Got the windscreen replaced after a nasty stone hit it on the way to AITP and put a huge crack in it.....got a free pair of wipers as well with autoglass....what a bonus

Well this morning i went into work for a couple of hours to get all the engine internals ready for balancing

Started with changing the oil pump drive gear on the crank

AE6CF6FE-F023-437D-B83B-70D39A469D48-195-00000000CD68ABDC.jpg

The heated the new gear on the induction heater and used a turned bit of tube as a drift to tap it on

DB13EBF9-8DA2-4988-B996-8473056AF353-195-00000000DBCD96A2.jpg

After many emails back and forth to IE and JE over the ring gaps ive now gone for 18 thou top ring gap (18 is pretty tight but 17 slips freely) and 22-23 thou second ring gap

The more i thought about it the less i worried about the gaps as many cars that are and probably are running big gaps still make big power (IE and JE were both reconmending even bigger gaps) and when i thought about it Westys had pretty big ring gaps as was obviously in bores around 100K and his has made more than decent power ;)

Pics of rings being gapped and a cheeky calander shot for a certain person ;)

03EB5002-3295-4705-8E92-0367DAA8205B-195-00000000E2FAD6C1.jpg

61BFB9B2-818F-419A-9481-F7157E7A6D5A-195-00000000EA32D4EE.jpg

I also measured an OEM BAM headgasket which came in at 1.6mm iirc (did write the figures down at work somewhere) the N/A one measured in at 1.1mm iirc

Does anyone know roughly how much this will raise comp having 0.5mm less height in the combustion chamber?

Could it be a way for other people to raise the comp on K04 and like builds??

Just looked and dates for strip end after next week :(

This sundays me b day so am busy as well, is their any other strips in the south easterly area?

Definately a possibility it would certainly be close but mine wasn't running properly at inters with the DV letting air by causing me to run anywhere between 1.2-1.35 bar boost instead of 1.5-1.6

Really would like to give it a go on a strip before i pull the engine out and am replacing the friction plate so might as well finish off the one thats in there ;)

Any RWYB days coming up?

If we're making excuses........

My car was only running 262bhp, no WMI, and infinity tyres lol.

If you want to do the Pod at some point you can crash at mine and we can head over there together as its only about 45 mins from mine.

Yeah am bang up for pod but they're only running the next 2 Sunday's which I'm busy :(

Not saying that I'd beet you but am saying I was potentially also running a lot less horses then (that's if its back to what it should be) my boost was gradually declining over a fairly long time and a few months prior to inters I only made a couple of ponies more than prawn at Amd which realistically would equate to low 290's, and was running even less boost at inters than then ;)

working out the compression from reducing the gasket 0.5mm would take too much time and money to bother with. but yeh it would raise it slightly. but also reduce combustion chamber volume a tad. not that it would matter.