st-3 with new turbo

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
right thats my car back from the garage with its new turbo fitted.
now my question is this, is it ok to use my st-3 unit with fast-road and economy maps on it that were sent to me after i had sent off my original map with the old turbo installed?
cheers

What caused your last turbo to die? You sure it wasn`t map related?

What caused your last turbo to die? You sure it wasn`t map related?

the bearings collapsed, and i dont know if it was map related, could have been for all i know! im not that clued up on turbos and engines!!!

what do you think? think it could have been?

how much did you pay & was it new/2nd hand/recon? I would be inclined to let it bed in 1st.

garage charged me £1k for a new one.
and unless anyone knows better, i will probably take your advice and let it bed in as such!
cheers

st3 maps are crap kaz a3 diesel turbo blown to.......

infact everyone i here with st3 there clutch or turbo blows i just wouldnt bother there maps are to intense for the car mate why go through all the drama again or do they have a map less intense, isnt the economy map still quicker than standard id go with that marty or its gona end in tears and you will end up hating the car ...

I'd say 500 mile then go Economy map. The ST3 on my 1.9TDI (economy)runs fine, had DMF vibration before the install but i'm living with it for a while before getting the new clutch and DMF.

I'm not sure about the generalisation of the ST3's kill the TDI... a large portion of a3's suffer from DMF failure (which also breaks the clutch) and turbo failures. Sad to say it but it appears to be poor build quality, the cars get to around 45-55k miles then parts give up! :no:
There are four people on here who have recently reported clutch/DMF problems- of the four it's only me with the ST3.

I'd say 500 mile then go Economy map. The ST3 on my 1.9TDI (economy)runs fine, had DMF vibration before the install but i'm living with it for a while before getting the new clutch and DMF.

I'm not sure about the generalisation of the ST3's kill the TDI... a large portion of a3's suffer from DMF failure (which also breaks the clutch) and turbo failures. Sad to say it but it appears to be poor build quality, the cars get to around 45-55k miles then parts give up! :no:
There are four people on here who have recently reported clutch/DMF problems- of the four it's only me with the ST3.

thats my point economy runs fine put it on fast road see how long your parts last

and unless anyone knows better, i will probably take your advice and let it bed in as such!
cheers
You cannot "bed in" your turbo as there is no contact between any metal parts. Just let the oil warm up first then drive it how you like, either the turbo works or you will see loads of blue smoke comming out of the exhaust.

the bearings collapsed, and i dont know if it was map related, could have been for all i know! im not that clued up on turbos and engines!!!

what do you think? think it could have been?

The bearings collapsed on mine too smashing the propeller to pieces...

I've had the car 9 months when the turbo popped- 7 trouble-free months and within 2 months or remap, turbo popped...

Had to clean out the Intercooler pipe and intercooler (hope you did this too)

the ST3 may increases pressure by 4PSI and i was told the normal turbo could handle this.

Im not so sure and running mine standard...

The bearings collapsed on mine too smashing the propeller to pieces...

I've had the car 9 months when the turbo popped- 7 trouble-free months and within 2 months or remap, turbo popped...

Had to clean out the Intercooler pipe and intercooler (hope you did this too)

the ST3 may increases pressure by 4PSI and i was told the normal turbo could handle this.

Im not so sure and running mine standard...

ive had the car 4 months, turbo started whistling after 2 once i had on fast road map with the st-3.
the mechanic said that they flushed out the system and done a complete oil change and filter change.
so im running it as standard at the moment, but it seems really slow now, no punch at all, but im scared of putting either of the maps that i have back on, fast-road or economy!!!

iiiiiiiiiiiit wiiiiiiiiiiiil beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ooooooooooooooooooook wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith economi ??? just read my posts the answers are all there ??

iiiiiiiiiiiit wiiiiiiiiiiiil beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ooooooooooooooooooook wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith economi ??? just read my posts the answers are all there ??

Just put yourself in martyboy position for a moment. I am not argueing with you but it`s easy to for you to say that but your not the one who has just had a blown turbo and will have to pay for another one if this one blows.
@martyboy Do you have a boost gauge or VAGCOM to do any boost logs as that would be a quick way to see if it`s likely to be map related. There are lots of tuning companies that sale the Chipped UK maps since they can buy maps from the Chipped UK data base so i doudt it is map related not that i am a great fan of Chipped UK maps mind you.

soz dude i was wrecked yesterday ****** cider lol ... but on a serious note i wouldnt run it on fast road is economy still an improvment on original if so id go with that just to be on the safe side ....

Rather than go for a remap or ST3 try a plug in module. There are some crap plug ins out there but if you use a well made and set up unit you will get more power and torque (not as much as a remap or ST3) and you will not blow turbos as they do not increase boost pressure. Plus they can be removed when you take it in for a service if your car is under warranty.

Just put yourself in martyboy position for a moment. I am not argueing with you but it`s easy to for you to say that but your not the one who has just had a blown turbo and will have to pay for another one if this one blows.
@martyboy Do you have a boost gauge or VAGCOM to do any boost logs as that would be a quick way to see if it`s likely to be map related. There are lots of tuning companies that sale the Chipped UK maps since they can buy maps from the Chipped UK data base so i doudt it is map related not that i am a great fan of Chipped UK maps mind you.

cheers mate, i have not long got myself vagcom, could you maybe give me a couple of pointers on how i could use it to see if it was map related as you mentioned?
cheers

soz dude i was wrecked yesterday ****** cider lol ... but on a serious note i wouldnt run it on fast road is economy still an improvment on original if so id go with that just to be on the safe side ....

no worries, after all it is the weather for ice cold cider, if only i wasnt working 7 days on the trot!!! :mad:

im sure economy map was an improvement, so maybe i might give it a go, cos standard is just so boring!!!

Rather than go for a remap or ST3 try a plug in module. There are some crap plug ins out there but if you use a well made and set up unit you will get more power and torque (not as much as a remap or ST3) and you will not blow turbos as they do not increase boost pressure. Plus they can be removed when you take it in for a service if your car is under warranty.

i had heard that these plug in modules were crap!

ive had the car 4 months, turbo started whistling after 2 once i had on fast road map with the st-3.
the mechanic said that they flushed out the system and done a complete oil change and filter change.
so im running it as standard at the moment, but it seems really slow now, no punch at all, but im scared of putting either of the maps that i have back on, fast-road or economy!!!

Does the turbo have warranty?

If so, Id be temtped to risk it... Or Maybe ask for a refund ?

Mine has warranty but i still have to pay the labour - im happy as it is as standard (it does feel a bit slower but then again, i dont drive my A3 fast at all tbh and i use my Type R when i have the need fo speeed lol) so im happy :D

Going to ask for a refund and see what they say - if not, going to sell the unit as maps can be bought to use it on other cars..

i had heard that these plug in modules were crap!

They are like most products out there. There are some crap ones and some very good ones. Like with mapping, not asll maps are the same!! All the cheap modules just have a small amount of electornics in that roughly adujusts the fueling to put more fuel in and those are crap, the ones you get of e bay. Some like the DPT unit that are properly developed and have a proper map set up for each vehicle are very good, but they are more expensive that the crap on ebay. Looking at about £300-£350 for a decent plug in unit.

We sell loads of the DPT units and give a 14 day money back garuentee and have never had a customer return a unit!

Mine has warranty but i still have to pay the labour - im happy as it is as standard (it does feel a bit slower but then again, i dont drive my A3 fast at all tbh and i use my Type R when i have the need fo speeed lol) so im happy :D

Going to ask for a refund and see what they say - if not, going to sell the unit as maps can be bought to use it on other cars..

If you decide to sell the unit, let us know how much you're after, i may be interested Kaz..

:icon_thumright:

the motor came with a free 6 month warranty, with a maximum coverage of £750. so after a whole lot of hassle and phone calls and messing about on their behalf, they have agreed to reimburse me the £750 :arco:

the name of the warrany company was "MOTORCARE WARRANTIES"
and they are a pile of sh*t to deal with! :banghead:

(just wanted to name and shame them a little!!!)