Squeeky Pulley

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
A little while ago I posted a question about hearing a high pitched whirrr coming from the engine. The mechanic at Fontain in Iver said that it was just a squeeky Pulley, but it is driving me nuts...

Can I cure this by spraying a bit of WD40 on the squeek, or is that a crap idea...

If so, do you have any alternative solutions!!

Best again,

Clach

If it does solve it it will not last long.

Which pulley is it?

Clach said:
A little while ago I posted a question about hearing a high pitched whirrr coming from the engine. The mechanic at Fontain in Iver said that it was just a squeeky Pulley, but it is driving me nuts...

Can I cure this by spraying a bit of WD40 on the squeek, or is that a crap idea...

If so, do you have any alternative solutions!!

Best again,

Clach

I had this prob..the bushes went so had to get a new pulley on the alternator

I am not sure what Pulley it is, yet, will try to locate this week...

Not sure what pulley, and never knew there was so many of them...lol

Anyway, is it worth getting fixed, or, indeed, should I get it fixed so it does not come loose...no obvious sign of play...?

Cheers

If the pulley is squeaking it probably means that the bearing has gone (i take it they are not getting confused with the fan belt squeaking). I would find out which puley it is and get it replaced. If its a pulley on the cambelt drive, you might as well wack a new belt on at the same time as this will have to come off to replace the pulley. Same goes for the waterpump.

I had the the various cam belt pulley's, dampner, water pump, etc replaced at Reading Audi about 3 months/3ooo miles ago...I am pretty sure it is a fan belt pulley, although with so many pulley's in there, it is hard to tell...

The only clue is that the noise does change in tone when I rotate the steering wheel....I assume the power steering runs off the fan/alternator belt?

and further investigation reveals:

My car is an automatic, and when I change gear (park, to Drive) etc the whinning tone also changes...more noticeable than when I move the wheels. This is driving me nuts..lol

Help...about to go mad...