Squeeky brakes!

paulious

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Sorry that this seems a trivial question. I have googled for answers and there seem to be many different answers.
The front pads were replaced only 4k miles ago and on inspection still have plenty of life left, however the last couple of days i've been getting annoyingly loud squealing noise when braking from relatively slow speeds (traffic lights etc).

I followed the garages recommendation when they were replaced and bedded them in. To be honest i've never been happy with their performance compared to my old 8l 1.6 A3. Also looking at the front discs it appears that there is a grove on each disc. Do Audi fit rutted brake discs as standard?!

From all the research i've done I would guess that the pads are glazed? Should I return it to Audi and bendover while they charge me £300 for a new set of pads? Or should I keep driving until the glaze wears off?

Car is a 54plate A3 3.2 quattro non s-line
Thanks

Paul

Mine squeek too, but it's behind the pads, not the stopping-surface. They just need taken out, and a wee dab of copper grease put between the pad and the caliper (absolutely NOT on the face of the pad). Not going to bother though, since the new brakes should be on this weekend!

Reactions: paulious
I'm glad you said, I was going to grease the brake disc! :p. I've read about this shimming/grease trick. It might have to come to that if this annoying noise continues. Good luck with the re-fit, I don't trust myself with such things as I usually end up with spare 'bits'

I'm glad you said, I was going to grease the brake disc! :p. I've read about this shimming/grease trick. It might have to come to that if this annoying noise continues. Good luck with the re-fit, I don't trust myself with such things as I usually end up with spare 'bits'

Won't be doing it myself. I can take nuts and bolts out, and even have a wee play trimming down plastics (have done my engine cover, swapped my ashtray out etc) but wouldn't trust myself with anything that actually affected the car. I can swap out pads, and did a mate's discs - that was an effort - but swapping the calipers and lines etc I am not up to.