squeeking brakes and ABS/ESP light

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
On the way to work this morning, the ABS/ESP light came on, and stayed on. This happened while I was braking. Also, my brakes are squeeking, and have been doing so for about 2 months now.

Anyone have this problem before?

Cheers,
Glen

My ABS & ESP lights came on 2 weeks ago. Put VAG-COM on it and it has told me I have a faulty wheel speed sensor. I located this sensor on saturday buy removing the wheel, brake caliper, and disk to reveal the ABS disk which is the size of a CD with small squares cut into it. The ABS sensor sits behind this in the wheel hub and is a small magnetic sensor that reads the speed of the squares as the wheel goes round. Your sensor is probably shagged but you'll want to find out which one it is as there is one per wheel. If you want to try and fix it yourself you can do the steps I did then cake the sensor in WD40 and give it a good clean as this may work but mine is completely broke so i'll be ordering a new one. Not sure how much they are though.

sounds like a sensor doubt the brake pads have owt to do with it tbh, heard on probs with the gaps in the metal that the sensor then sees as on offs getting blocked up and can cause problems but don`t know if that was on a audi >????

Hi glen, hope you are well.. some of the time because there is alot of road grime and other crap that gets collected behind the wheel around winter time, the sensors are magnetic so you might just have give them a good clean. Try this before you buy a new one.

Just one elimination process, to get them out you have to break them so ive heard...

I'm changing my rear sensor this saturday so I'll let you know how it goes (with Photos). I tried to clean my one but the ABS/ESP lights only went out for about half a mile before returning!

Sorry guys I fogot my camera on Saturday so didn't get any photos but it is very simple to change the sensor. Well it was a lot easier in a pit then on the driveway!!!

- Jack car
- Remove wheel
- Remove brake caliper
- Remove brake disk
- You will see a small hub with square holes in it, this is the ABS hub, the sensor will be just sticking out near the botom of the hub.
- From the other side of the hub you can trace the sensor and wire to a connection box, remove this.
- Unscrew the fixing bolt near the head of the sensor
- Tap out sensor fromt the front of the hub with a screwdriver and hammer
- From the inside give the hole the sensor just came out of a quick filing with a circular file to make getting the new sensor in a lot easier.
- Push in new sensor
- screw in fixing bolt
- connect wire conector and secure connection box.
- Disk back on
- Caliper back on
- Wheel back on
- Turn on ignition, ABS/ESP lights should be gone

Hey chaps, cheers for all the comments and useful advice.
The warning light no longer comes on now, and i cleaned out my discs with compressed air.

Though squeeking is still there.

Thanks,
Glen

Westle,

could you tell me if the rear wheel speed sensor looks like one of these? I had a look behind the hub (next to the driveshaft boot) near the bottom and there seemed to be only a grounding ring terminal. I was expecting a 2 pin plug and a bolt of some description:

I think i may have the wrong part!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Does anyone have a diagram of the rear upright assembly to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Sorry Alex I've been on Holiday for 2 weeks.

The part in the photo is the wrong part mate, it's similar to that but its straight.

The part number you want is 8N0 907 379 E but make sure you get a genuine Audi part and not a cheaper alternative or you'll end up paying twice like I did.

Westle, will the part i have fit on, or will i need to get a new sensor with the part number you described?

kinda need to know soon, as i'll have to source the part today and get it before fitting it on monday!!

Cheers

sqeaking is almost always caused by the back of the pad rubbing on the piston. Tiny movements of the pad under braking pressure cause that really anoying noise! Simple cure though, apply copper slip to the back of the pad... most new pads have some form of anti sqeek surface if yours are worn chances are the backing has rubbed away as well

edit.. the original question was 8 month ago, sorry for the late response just thought i'd share some useless information :Flush:

Last edited:
had a little look again, and it seems that the part i want needs to be straight as you say Westle, but with a cable coming off it, going to a connector running up the trailing arm

gonna tray a euro car parts one to see if that works, before going for the big bucks OEM one!