1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squealing sound

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by dzankizakon, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dzankizakon

dzankizakon Member

When I start the car in the morning, almost every day the car squeals for approx 30 to 60 seconds while it's moving. The sound appears to be coming from the back, but I'm not sure. Also, the brakes squeal when I brake during those 30-60 seconds when the car starts. I took the car to the garage and they checked the brakes and said the sound is gone. It was gone, for a couple of days, and then returned. I don't think it's just the brakes, because the sound is emitted when the car is going, without any braking at all. After 30-60 seconds, the squealing stops and returns only if I leave the car alone for a couple of hours.

Here's the sound: https://soundcloud.com/dzankizakon/squeal-8v

If anyone has any opinion on what could it be, please let me know. It's embarrassing, because the car is practically brand new (5 months old, 12000km) and it squeals in the morning worse than a 30 year old mini.
  2. Dylock

Dylock Active Member

I couldn't get the clip to work on my phone but I would say it's the brakes. Are you in the uk with all this wet weather? How long are your journeys? Even without applying the brakes there is still a little bit of contact. Try using the brakes really hard for a bit to clean them up.
  3. gneera

gneera New Member

I've had the same problem with my 8P every once in a while, especially after driving the sandy roads. Try to go reverse 10km/h and brake a few times. Worked on me.
  4. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

does it still make the noise if you start the car with the air conditioning/climate control turned off in the morning?
  5. dzankizakon

dzankizakon Member

Thanks a lot for all the replies, they are very useful. :)

I also have another 8P driven by my wife (bought new 5 years ago) but it never had this squealing issue (or any other issue, actually). I have not tried to drive without a/c - will do. :)
  6. dzankizakon

dzankizakon Member

Just to report that the problem has been solved by Audi.. apparently there was a tiny bit of contact left upon releasing the brake (as it's s-tronic, you also have to press the brake in order to start the car) when the car was cold. Now the car is as quiet as a mouse again, in fact a neighbor jokingly said my car must be electric considering how quietly it moves around the street ;-) Thanks everyone!