1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

squealing power steering

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by fourcircle, Oct 22, 2011.

1. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

[Oct 22, 2011]
    This is one that's been going on for ages but I haven't worked it out. when my steering is at full lock I get squealing from some part of my PS system. I thought i'd cracked it when I changed my v belt tensioner and belt during the summer but it's still the same. it's worst when i've just started up from cold, suggesting the pump itself or belt are less forgiving when cold. At times I get a bit of squeal just turning half way, not even on full lock. that does tend to be when the car is cold though.
    any ideas anyone? And no, it's not a cat stuck in my undertray
    cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 22, 2011]
    When you say 'cold', are you talking Finnish winter cold? Might just be cos the belts stiff then?
  4. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

[Oct 22, 2011]
    no mate, could be 20 degrees and it will still squeal when on full lock
  5. BlackQuat

BlackQuat Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Oct 22, 2011]
    Could be the alternator clutch pulley
  6. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

[Oct 22, 2011]
    thanks mate. Is that a typical offender for this kind of noise? if/when I get etka 7.3 working i'll look the part number up and see if I can get access to it without removing the whole sodding front end.
  7. Stubie

Stubie Member

[Oct 23, 2011]
    Mine also does this , just mine seems to be when on full lock whatever the temp !
  8. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Oct 23, 2011]
    sometimes, low power steering fluid is to blame,
  9. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

[Oct 23, 2011]
    i'll double check the fluid but i'm pretty sure it's ok (famous last words :) )
  10. Stubie

Stubie Member

[Oct 23, 2011]
    When I bought the car (privately) the brake system warning light kept coming on , discovered the power steering reservoir was empty ! Filled it up and left the cap off and turned from lock to lock for a few minutes ! The squealing is still there but not quite as loud !!
  11. Rhencullen1989

Rhencullen1989 190 S LINE QUATTRO

[Oct 25, 2011]
    Does the serpentine belt flap around a lot when the engine is idling, this gives the impression that the tensioner is weak, but in most cases is due to the one way clutch in the alternator pulley.

I replaced my pulley in august because the belt was moving around so much it was causing the tensioner to rumble when pulling away on low revs, new pulley from TPS (genuine audi) was £80, took an hour or so to fit as the alternator needs to come out and you need a special tool to remove the old (and very tight) pulley, new one in and as good as new. You can check the pulley by removing the belt tension, gripping the pulley in your hand and quickly jerk it clockwise and counter clockwise, it should grip one way and slip the other way, its not a free running slip, but you should get a fraction of a revolution out of the alternator.
  12. Z82

Z82 Member

[Oct 25, 2011]
    Mines been doing this recently but mine is only on full lock to right :-/
  13. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

[Oct 26, 2011]
    I haven't noticed that about the belt flapping but then I haven't really been looking for that. I'll check today. Even if it's not flapping in an obvious way it sounds likely that it could be to blame. 80 quid... I hope that's it and it won't turn out to be one of those cases where I change everything in sight and turns out to be something silly :)
  14. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Oct 26, 2011]
    Squeaks in the pas will be air in the system. Best course of action is to drain the pas. Replace the fluid and then jack the front of the car up until both wheels off the ground. Then bleed the system by turning the steering wheel onto full lock both ways until the sound has gone. May take a while but will work.