1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeaky H&R Cup Kit

Discussion in 'Awesome GTI' started by mohsin1315, Apr 2, 2013.

1. mohsin1315

mohsin1315 Member

Hi,

I have a 2007 Audi S3 for which I purchased a H&R Cup Kit from you at the end of November. On December 11th the suspension kit was fitted by AmD in Woking along with some other components - front droplinks, balljoints and top mounts. Since fitting, the rear of the car has had a squeak coming from both areas near the wheels when travelling slowly (~10mph). The car was taken back to AmD and Simon diagnosed the issue to be the rear springs. His mechanics greased them up and advised that I should give the car some time for the springs to settle.

On 5th March the car went back to AmD for a steering rack and service and whilst there, I asked them to replace the rear ARB bushes as an attempt to reduce the squeak. Unfortunately the squeak still remained and very recently I fitted some spring silencers - rubber tubing that wraps around the dead coils on the rear springs. This has reduced the squeak, especially when cold, but as soon as the car warms up the squeak returns. Same symptoms -squeak from both springs over rough ground, exaggerated when going up a driveway or slope with a sharp steering angle.

Simon has said he will happily re-grease the springs for me but I am wondering if there is anything you can do. I appreciate that I didn't ask Awesome to fit the hardware (I have used you before to fit springs to my Scirocco and would have done this time round but you are 3 hours away from me and time out from work was difficult). Have there been reports of faulty/noisy H&R springs in the past? Is it possible I have a dodgy set?

Apologies for the long winded ramble and thank you for taking the time to read it. Here's hoping you can assist a customer who is being driven slowly insane by some squeaky springs!

Best Regards
    Mo
  2. AwesomeAl

AwesomeAl Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Hmm, now that is a Strange one.
    It's definitely not something we've ever seen before with H&R springs or dampers, but couldn't really rule it out.

Unfortunately the downside to it is that it is only an audible problem rather than a physical problem, so this isn't something that would be covered by H&R's warranty.

Not too sure where to go from there really!

Sorry about that fella.
    Regards, Al.
    Awesome ltd.
  3. mohsin1315

mohsin1315 Member

Thanks for the response. Any suggestions regardless of warranty status?
  4. AwesomeAl

AwesomeAl Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

I'm really not sure what to point towards to be fair.
    We've seen issues before with Squeeky top mounts at low speeds. Really that's all that comes to mind?
    We had a set of Variant 3 KW Coilovers that had squelchy squeeky noises coming from the dampers, but that was down to the type of variable speed damping valvework used in them, which is only used in the V3's.

Sorry about that.
  5. mohsin1315

mohsin1315 Member

Thank you for the response Al.