Squeaky Dashboard

Effect

Reaction score
I have had my S3 now for about 3 weeks and have finally today decided to find the source of my interior squeak.

I finally found it, if i grab the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering wheel it squeaks when moved and this happens over every bump and when driving slowly absolutely does my nut it.

I can't tell what the dashboard is rubbing on exactly, it doesn't feel particularly loose or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do ?

the dash in that area is held on with about 4-5 screws, perhaps on of them is missing ( a previous owner being a cowboy??)

Take the fuse cover off and have a look at the screw holes - see if any are missing, try tightening the ones that are there.

There are also a couple of screws in the footwell if my memory is correct.

If that fails you could always undo the whole side of the dash, put little pieces of sticky fabric between all the parts and put it back together again.... but that would be uber anal.

Hope it helps.

When it comes to rattles there is no quick fix, just patients.

or patience, if you dont wanna look after sick people all night :p

Is it the panel below steering wheel i.e. with light switch on, as this is what normally squeaks and rattles? Let me know if it is as I have detailed instructions from my guide.

As previously said it is probably a loose or missing torx T20 bolts at end of dash.

I'll have to take it for a drive late rI have had the panel off a few times that you are talking about to change some sensors that are under there and there is one bolt missing which i will get round to replacing asap(I had forgotten about it trill you said)

however it doesnt seem to be that it seems to be the dash, which today doesnt seem to be making any noise although it is warmer today and the dash will have expanded a bit making it a more snug fit, so later tonight when it cools down a bit I will see if what I have doen earlier has fixed the problem.

Thanks James

black felt cloth.

You must be able to get the sticky backed stuff from audi i would have thought.... they must get through it like bogroll at glastonbury.

thats the stuff, not had to use any on my current car.....yet.... used it on my old MK2, and It works really well though!!!

well i undid the nuts at the end of the dashboard pushed it up with one hand whilst re tightening with the other hand and it seems to have killed the squeak. :)

Can someone please tell me exactly where these dashboard bolts/nuts are as I will borrow a Torx key and tighten them up tomorrow afternoon.

Also, how many are there?

A bit of info before I start will be really helpful and save my poor back from bending like a Russian gymnast !

At end of dashboard when you open the door. Insert key in slot and twist then pull cover off there are 3 clips that hold it in place. You need a torx T20 driver to tighten.

IMG_3331.jpg