squeaky brakes

dbw

Reaction score
Can anybody help! Since purchasing our tt rs 15months ago the brakes continue to squeak!
We have had replacement discs etc Still squeaking!
Milton Keynes had the car for one week all very top secret. car returned to us appeared to be ok but now squeaking again!!
Audi are perplexed that we are saying the squeak is back!
We are still waiting for them to decide what course of action should be taken1
if anybody has had a similar problem we would love to hear from you.

Have a look in the rs3 section, the boys in there are familiar with the brake squeal. Afaik the brakes are the same. :) x

Welcome to the site.

Yes as Sandra advises, check the RS3 boys as this is as common as Eastenders :)

Reactions: Sandra
Hi dbw, I own a RS3 and same thing it had squeaky brakes, booked it into Audi centre in Stockport where they replaced all front brake components, 1000 miles later it did start again a little and the brakes didn't inspire confidence, however after speaking to a brake component company they suggested a few good sessions braking from 60 to 0 (safely mind you) to get the discs and pads warmed up, this de-glazes the pads and helps bed the whole set up in properly, and to be honest the whole set up is miles better now and they rarely squeal if at all.
Part of this is Audi not telling customers the right information, doing the upgrade then just handing the car back to customer regardless of wether the new set up is any better.

Reactions: NHN
Veneeringman is right, the issue with the upgrade does seem to be with the bedding-in process, however, there is another solution that worked with the original brakes and will work with the upgrade too. PM me if you want details (as listed in the RS3 section).

Otherwise try the Brembo sport pad, again advertised in the RS3 section; that works too - and produces a lot less dust!

Reactions: NHN
And here's the Brembo Brake Bedding procedure (taken from the Brembo Sport Brake Pads data sheet):

For information:

It is very important to follow proper brake bedding procedure following installation. This is necessary not only for optimum performance of the system, but also to avoid onset of judder (vibration felt through brake and steering).

When fitting pads to used discs, the discs must be in good condition and be within the original manufacturers manufacturing tolerances. In case of any doubt, new discs should be fitted.

Be aware that with new brake system components, the braking performance will be reduced until the pads and discs are fully bedded. Use extreme caution while driving the vehicle under these conditions. If done on public roads obey all traffic laws and do not endanger yourself or others.

The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces, generating a uniform transfer layer.

Perform at least 20 brake applications using medium deceleration (approximately 60% of maximum) starting from 60mph and slowing to 20mph. Do not come to a stop. Accelerate back to the starting speed allowing 20-30 seconds before beginning the next brake application. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

When it can be done legally, or on a closed circuit, a secondary bedding operation is beneficial.
Repeat the above procedure for 5 to 10 brake applications increasing the starting speed to 80mph and increasing the deceleration rate to 80% of maximum. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components. The system is now ready for normal use.

This entire procedure must be complete before driving the vehicle as normal. It is especially important that this process is completed before any extended same-speed driving is done (i.e. Motorway travel). Failure to follow these instructions greatly increases the likelihood of judder development.

Reactions: MrBones
Had the same issue with my car and was initially fobbed off by the Dealer - 'brakes do that' sort of conversation. Anyway, after giving the service manager an earful they replaced the pads under warranty and it has been squeak free ever since.

Reactions: 45bvtc
And here's the Brembo Brake Bedding procedure (taken from the Brembo Sport Brake Pads data sheet):

For information:

It is very important to follow proper brake bedding procedure following installation. This is necessary not only for optimum performance of the system, but also to avoid onset of judder (vibration felt through brake and steering).

When fitting pads to used discs, the discs must be in good condition and be within the original manufacturers manufacturing tolerances. In case of any doubt, new discs should be fitted.

Be aware that with new brake system components, the braking performance will be reduced until the pads and discs are fully bedded. Use extreme caution while driving the vehicle under these conditions. If done on public roads obey all traffic laws and do not endanger yourself or others.

The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces, generating a uniform transfer layer.

Perform at least 20 brake applications using medium deceleration (approximately 60% of maximum) starting from 60mph and slowing to 20mph. Do not come to a stop. Accelerate back to the starting speed allowing 20-30 seconds before beginning the next brake application. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

When it can be done legally, or on a closed circuit, a secondary bedding operation is beneficial.
Repeat the above procedure for 5 to 10 brake applications increasing the starting speed to 80mph and increasing the deceleration rate to 80% of maximum. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components. The system is now ready for normal use.

This entire procedure must be complete before driving the vehicle as normal. It is especially important that this process is completed before any extended same-speed driving is done (i.e. Motorway travel). Failure to follow these instructions greatly increases the likelihood of judder development.

Great info....thanks

Reactions: 45bvtc
thanks so much for your help will try out breaking procedure, and let you know how I get on. cheers Dave and bev.

thanks so much for your help will try out breaking procedure, and let you know how I get on. cheers Dave and bev.

Dave, maybe you should talk to me.

If you've the original brakes (1) then I can sort it easily; I can send you an illustrated procedure, chapter and verse: all you'll need is some £4.99 self-adhesive anti-squeal shims and a couple of hours labour - job done.

However, if you've the upgraded brakes then make sure you undertake the bedding-in procedure first; if that fails then go back to (1).

A 3rd alternative is to use the Brembo Sports brake pads - these are 'claimed' to stop brake squeal - though are NOT Audi approved.

Back to (1): I've been using Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims on my own 'original' RS3 brakes for the past 18-months, and have applied it to a number of other RS3's, successfully.

LOTS of information on the RS3 forum (RS3 and TTRS brakes are basically the same)

I'm in Staffordshire - WS12: your choice...