1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeaking at crawling speeds

T.Will Apr 19, 2014

1. T.Will

T.Will Member

Finally purchased my A3 used on Monday (58 plate). Yesterday, I noticed whilst driving at crawling speed with the window down a squeaking sound coming from the driver side. Not sure if front or back wheel. It seems it's intermittent, as I tried to have some one listen whilst I crawled by and it took a couple of attempts before it squeaked.

I haven't heard squeaking whilst braking or turning the steering wheel.

Any ideas what it could be. A search on here came back with the possibility of wheel bearings could this be true for my case?

I thought I'd go for a short drive around the block this morning to check if it only happens at slow speeds. There was no squeaking when I pulled away and not for the majority of the short drive. Only about a minute away from home there were 4 singular squeaks.

2. Sayam

Sayam Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

wheel bearings dont squeak i would describe their noise as a rumble.

just whip the wheel off and have a nosey, could just be **** built up somewhere on the breaking mechanism or possibly low pads?

3. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

It'll just be the brakes squeaking. Just touch the pedal while it's squeaking and I bet it goes off!

4. S3 AEX

S3 AEX Active Member

Cheap pads?