1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeaking at crawling speeds

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by T.Will, Apr 19, 2014.

1. T.Will

T.Will New Member

Finally purchased my A3 used on Monday (58 plate). Yesterday, I noticed whilst driving at crawling speed with the window down a squeaking sound coming from the driver side. Not sure if front or back wheel. It seems it's intermittent, as I tried to have some one listen whilst I crawled by and it took a couple of attempts before it squeaked.

I haven't heard squeaking whilst braking or turning the steering wheel.

Any ideas what it could be. A search on here came back with the possibility of wheel bearings could this be true for my case?

I thought I'd go for a short drive around the block this morning to check if it only happens at slow speeds. There was no squeaking when I pulled away and not for the majority of the short drive. Only about a minute away from home there were 4 singular squeaks.
  2. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

wheel bearings dont squeak i would describe their noise as a rumble.

just whip the wheel off and have a nosey, could just be **** built up somewhere on the breaking mechanism or possibly low pads?
  3. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

It'll just be the brakes squeaking. Just touch the pedal while it's squeaking and I bet it goes off!
  4. S3 AEX

S3 AEX Active Member

Cheap pads?