Squeak Squeak Squeak ... arrggghhh

Inertiauk

Reaction score
Website
www.yourlocalcomputerguy.co.uk
My brakes are incredibly squeaky, even when not pressed the squeak, especially in the dry hot weather we are having.

To start with I thought it was the very tired rear discs, so i fitted new rear discs and pads which didn't help at all.

I took them to Lee's Automotive repairs (he's good with VAG's and local to me motion Lees Garage - worth writing home about!! - uk-mkivs) where It was polly bushed and a few other jobs done. I asked him to diagnose the squeak, he replaced the front left calliper with brand new as it was sticking.

apparently now nothing is sticking, and its slightly better but it still squeaks enough to be annoying a lot of the time when not pressed and loudly when you press the brakes.

Lee says the discs don't look warped, there's nothing wrong with them upon inspection ,and the pads have plenty of meat on them, however I'm not sure on the make and the pads of discs as they were on the car when I got it (I was told only recently fitted).

If I knew for sure replacing discs and pads would solve the problem I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to fork out £250+ for good quality discs and pads if the problem will remain.

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

I had this on the mrs's 206cc (notorious for squeeky brakes) I stripped cleaned/ resufaced the brakes loads of times.. Turns out the friction material of her front pads contained a lot of metal (lucas trw) changed just the pads for genuine and theres no more noise :D

If you know of anyone with a TPS account, Genuine brake bits are supprisingly cheap.