Springs for S3

ImS3ola

Reaction score
Sorry to bore you guys with this question again, but i've done a search and can't come up with anything conlcusive.

At the moment my car is running 18" RS4 style alloys with standard suspension. I don't really push the car very hard as I live in London so i'm happy with the way it handles. What i'm slightly less pleased about is the gap between the wheels and car. To my mind the wheels aren't filling out the flared S3 arches as I would like.

From what i've read, it should be ok to just replace the springs and run them with standard dampers if i'm not going for a big drop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I think a 30mm drop would be enough. The Eibach, H&R and Audi gmbh spring kits seem to be the ones recommended the most. I dont want to make the ride any harsher over bumps/potholes etc. Will changing the springs alter the ride quality at all - are the eibachs and H&R springs the same, or is one harsher than the other?

Finally, I read the thread about fitting spacers with 18" alloys. If I want to achieve the 'filled out arches' look, would I go for the 10mm front and 16mm rear. Does running spacers affect the handling at all?

Sorry for all the questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've phoned AMD and they quoted £160+vat for the springs, £160+vat for the spacers and bolts, and £240 to fit including laser allignment. Seems very expensive to me. Does anyone know where I could get the parts cheaper, and then get them fitted by a garage in london?

I also asked the guy about the Audi gmbh lowered suspension. He said that my car already had it fitted as it's a 52 plate car. I told him I thought this only applied to TTs but he seemed adamant that the S3 had it post 2002 as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i was keeping an eye on them springs but forgot about them totally and the auction finished.

they went for £9.99 + £12 postage, ****** bargain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mark