Spraying wheel callipers

Tommy53

Reaction score
Hello! So it's too nice to be sat in today and with no plans I have decided I might paint/spray my callipers :)

I have done these before on my old car but as I painted them when on, they didn't turn out as neat as I wanted. So basically I have some questions..

-what paint is best from somewhere like halfords?
-Is spray paint better?
-is it easy to take the calliper off to do them?

And now the big one.. What colour should I do them? I think red :)

cheers! This is my car to help you think of a colour

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 266
I did my old 8L S3 rear brakes to match my Porsche Big Reds.

I did it over an Easter double bank holiday. They key was in the prep, and masking. Wire brush Cleaned, and brake cleaner, red oxide under coated, then top coat of Japlac enamel. All by brush.

Japlac is brilliant, it sets like plasticote, really glossy and no brush marks. Available from b&q iirc.

I never had to redo them in 6 years.

Cheers for that! What's the best way around not spraying these metal clips?

Personally I would not spray anything if still attached to car, I would be worried about overspray on my pristine paintwork.

You might be able to remove the clips? And replace after painting.

I only painted my rears, but effectively took it off the road for a 4 day weekend to save masking it all up twice, and to let the paint set.

Or brush paint them ,things like hammorite dont leave brush marks either,you only need to paint what you can see really so doesnt matter about the finish on the back

I've got a black Black Edition, with the anthracite wheels so I went with red calipers for a bit of contrast.
I've always used halfords high temperature enamel. It's brushed on but dries really smooth and looks like powder coat.

Yeah I have gone for red and I'm in the process of doing it now, took a while to tape all the little holes and necessary areas but I'm on with the coats. Hope it looks okay!

Reactions: SPARTAN91
Still letting them dry before I put the clips back on :) will have pics up tomorrow, quite impressed with them. I used the Hammerite smooth red spray paint and just had enough to do the front two. Just a pity I don't have decent alloys yet to complete the look and it doesn't help that the person before me had curbed them quite abit!:(

So I have finally done the callipers, what do you's think, yey or ney?
should I also do the back?

View attachment 17014

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 172