Spraying a spoiler

r3stu

Reaction score
Anyone got a rough idea how much a bodyshop will charge to spray a s3 spoiler? Cheers

A dealer will be dear. Our local paint n bodyshop charged £40 and we fitted it ourselves.

£40 sounds resonable, Yea was thinking about fitting it myself, Is it just a case off cutting the lugs off then sitting it in place with some tigerseal and let it dry? Cheers

We used tiger seal and used masking tape to hold it down firm over night in the garage. Went off pretty quick so make sure you get the excess off before you leave it.

Do you need to use alot? or will a couple off big blobs do the trick?

think we used a thin bead on the areas that touch the bodywork, not too much as it moves out under pressure.

Yeap use a small 5-7mm bead as it really can spread out easily & make a horrible mess, the spoiler actually should have a marked channel where the sealant goes which shouldnt be a painted area, make sure they dont paint the whole underneath, make sure there's original material to stick on with as the paint could peel of with the sealant if it got a wind lift under it, very low chance tbh of that happening, but shouldnt paint the fixing area on the underside of spoiler.

the spoiler actually should have a marked channel where the sealant goes which shouldnt be a painted area, make sure they dont paint the whole underneath, make sure there's original material to stick on with as the paint could peel of with the sealant if it got a wind lift under it, very low chance tbh of that happening, but shouldnt paint the fixing area on the underside of spoiler.[/QUOTE]

yup, thats correct good point, it should tell you that in the instructions too

Quick one guys, I assume that if you fit a s-line spoiler the process is the same;
- cut lugs,
- Spray, (only on top)
- fit with Tiger Seal tape down overnight

Quick query, what happens to the brake light? Does it shine through a gap or do you have to reconnect then have tricky fix down?

Appreciate replies, as I am trying to choose btween doing this and an ebay special for £70

Edit,
I live Cheshire, where did you get the spray done for £40 please?

If you mean Gary ebay special steer clear as my one was warped & isnt replying to emails, cockerel he is which I will address.

Not aware sline one has lugs but if it does then yes, cut of, paint then fit with some sealant & I would suggest sikaflex but others are also ok.

Usually a gap for existing brake light.

Mine has came with some sort off red tape on the underside, seems to be some type off rubber under it? is this the marked channels where the bonding agent is meant to go?

I i know this is goin to sound daft but what lugs ?? where are they lol ??

My spoiler came from audi with sticky rubber running along both length edges, Do i need to remove this so I can put the bonding sealent into the groove? It also came with a long piece off sticky brushed material? where is this meant to go?

Cheers

The sticky strips act as 3 things, 1st to stick the spoiler down into position to hold it there until the sealant goes of & holds fast & 2nd as a barrier to hopefully stop sealant sqeezing out into a visible area, so no dont remove it, just take of the top tape cover before fixing so it is now sticky to fix on boot lid properly & 3rd I guess as a cushining to stop it knocking if it has any movement (which is shouldnt when sealant goes of) so all relevant.