Spotted this manifold on ebay.

Erm am I wrong but does the advert say it would fit an A4 and A3 ????? Surely it wouldn't as the A4 is a longitudinal engine and the A3 a traverse ?

Its fine for that manifold... Its symetrical (apart from WG flange) so turbo can site both wayas rounf for longi and trans

Rich

ah, cool so am I right in thinking that you can't change the stock A3 & A4 manifolds over, but custom ones can be made to fit both then ?

I'm trying to sus out what the options as far as a larger turbo on the S3 are.
Here's what I think is the case so far.

There are two main options for large turbos on the S3 and they are the GT28RS and the IHI.

Its commonly thought that the IHI is the better option as it holds boost at hight revs for longer and has a quicker spool up time.

Manifolds for the GT28RS/IHI are available for left hand drive cars on the continent but not so readly availabe for us.

There are kits avilable for the IHI but the are very expensive.

Now for questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can I buy a manifold/downpipe etc for my S3 and buy a turbo and actuator etc myself?

Does anyone supply the parts to fit the turbo as a kit without fitting?

Is anyone else as confused as I am?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to sus out what the options as far as a larger turbo on the S3 are.
Here's what I think is the case so far.

There are two main options for large turbos on the S3 and they are the GT28RS and the IHI.

Its commonly thought that the IHI is the better option as it holds boost at hight revs for longer and has a quicker spool up time.

Manifolds for the GT28RS/IHI are available for left hand drive cars on the continent but not so readly availabe for us.

There are kits avilable for the IHI but the are very expensive.

Now for questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can I buy a manifold/downpipe etc for my S3 and buy a turbo and actuator etc myself?

Does anyone supply the parts to fit the turbo as a kit without fitting?

Is anyone else as confused as I am?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. JBS Autodesigns do a manifold for the GT28RS
2. Jabbasport do a manifold for the IHI (Im using this)

You can buy the manifold, and fitting kit (water pipes, .etc .etc) from jabba, and then source a VF-34 elsewhere. All that you need to do to the turbo is spin the comp housing round 180 degrees so it sits in the correct place. You can also source injectors (Bosch green 44cc) pretty cheap on ebay .etc. The hard part for the S3 is the downpipe... I dont believe anyone has an off the shelf pipe for 4wd cars just yet.

^ ^ RyanC!?

The IHI kits really are not expensive... The custom work, however, is! If you can get a DP without having it done you will save yourself hundreds and remap wise you can get that done for ~£600

Also consider you really must do something with the intercoolers as they are crap, and fit sports cats and exhaust system.

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
ah, cool so am I right in thinking that you can't change the stock A3 & A4 manifolds over, but custom ones can be made to fit both then ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct for the first part, and for the seconds it depends on the turbo. That particular manifold should be fine. Only problem on transverse is that the turbo can sometimes not have enough clearance from the brake servo, master cylinder and steering rack .etc

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
1. JBS Autodesigns do a manifold for the GT28RS
2. Jabbasport do a manifold for the IHI (Im using this)

You can buy the manifold, and fitting kit (water pipes, .etc .etc) from jabba, and then source a VF-34 elsewhere. All that you need to do to the turbo is spin the comp housing round 180 degrees so it sits in the correct place. You can also source injectors (Bosch green 44cc) pretty cheap on ebay .etc. The hard part for the S3 is the downpipe... I dont believe anyone has an off the shelf pipe for 4wd cars just yet.

^ ^ RyanC!?

The IHI kits really are not expensive... The custom work, however, is! If you can get a DP without having it done you will save yourself hundreds and remap wise you can get that done for ~£600

Also consider you really must do something with the intercoolers as they are crap, and fit sports cats and exhaust system.

RIch

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks alot rich, that has really cleared up a few things!

I'm going to get the cars breaks and suspension sorted out and then I think I might go for it.

I'll have to look into the options for a Down pipe more though. Any ideas?

Would that be these injectors?

I found information on them on a LCR forum. They are ford racing fittment but fit the 1.8T with some washers.

Green tops!

Try These! They are the correct ones and a direct fit. at $220 delivered (Thats £125!!) they are 1/3 the price of the UK. This guy is reputable too!

Thank you very much Rich! Thats spot on.

With the cost of doing the conversion to IHI being so hi I was thinking of doing things a step at a time.

I was thinking of having a unichip fitted and custom remapped at hight boost. I know Glen was running very high boost on his and that a few of the LCR etc are or different forums.

Anyway I know that glen reconed that the standard injectors where pretty much flat out at high boost on the K04, might be an idea to go for a set of these before a remap to control feuling a bit better and still be one more thing off the list for the IHI conversion.

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you very much Rich! Thats spot on.

With the cost of doing the conversion to IHI being so hi I was thinking of doing things a step at a time.

I was thinking of having a unichip fitted and custom remapped at hight boost. I know Glen was running very high boost on his and that a few of the LCR etc are or different forums.

Anyway I know that glen reconed that the standard injectors where pretty much flat out at high boost on the K04, might be an idea to go for a set of these before a remap to control feuling a bit better and still be one more thing off the list for the IHI conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats for sure! Things like the exhaust, sports cats .etc can all be done before hand. I reckon if you had a 3" downpipe (APR?) then you could modify this to fit with the IHI...In theory anyway! Samco intake would be an idea too and intercooler is a must. You could get to the point where there isnt much to change and then nail the turbo in a short time.

Rich

Am I right in saying that the APR downpipe is £995 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Yes. Sod that. Get one made. £485 for mine with a 100 cell Rossi cat.

Another one to consider here is the K26. MTM and Dialynx do manifolds for these.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Sod that. Get one made. £485 for mine with a 100 cell Rossi cat.

Another one to consider here is the K26. MTM and Dialynx do manifolds for these.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be the benifits if any of the K26 over the IHI then S3bow?

This could be a good thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nothing to speak of really. IHIs with the P20 housing get around 340-360. K26 from 330-350. Just another option. Have a look at the "Upgrading Turbocharger" thread on the tuning section. Both first and second parts.

Chris.

Hi mate,
Downpipe is custom made and is very tight.
In my opinion you have to run a aftermarket manifold with a big turbo,preferably a cast item.
It's not going to be cheap to go big turbo then you have the problem of gettting someone to map it.
Benefits is thats it transforms the car,it's a joy to drive and has a real rip at the top end.I've pushed the car to the safe boundaries on standard internals,next step is something special.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What would be the benifits if any of the K26 over the IHI then S3bow?

This could be a good thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The k26 is a oldish turbo with old bearing design and have heard it's quite a bit more laggy than a ihi.

I've driven a MTM 330 S3 and TBH wasn't noticeably laggier than my car. (k04). Maybe a few hundred revs later. A lot of the German tuners still use them.

Chris.

Don't know if the mtm car had a problem as it was making around 70bhp less than mine on the same rollers,who has got one on here?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi mate,
Downpipe is custom made and is very tight.
In my opinion you have to run a aftermarket manifold with a big turbo,preferably a cast item.
It's not going to be cheap to go big turbo then you have the problem of gettting someone to map it.
Benefits is thats it transforms the car,it's a joy to drive and has a real rip at the top end.I've pushed the car to the safe boundaries on standard internals,next step is something special.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did you get to custom make a down pipe? I don't know who in my area would be able to do this, there is a powerflow dealer (Wallace Performance) but I don't know if they would be up to this, I'll have a word when I go into pay my bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is very, very tight between the prop and bulkhead. Be careful where you put the bellows.
Hayward and Scott made one for s3mon I think. Wonder if they made a jig ? Saying that, it was to suit a K04.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
It is very, very tight between the prop and bulkhead. Be careful where you put the bellows.
Hayward and Scott made one for s3mon I think. Wonder if they made a jig ? Saying that, it was to suit a K04.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who made yours then? (sorry I don't know your name)

[ QUOTE ]
did the chris at the end of his post not give it away? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

same old problem,you need to have the turbo bolted up and discharge flange then a custom downpipe made, but obviously you can't drive the car at this stage.

[ QUOTE ]
did the chris at the end of his post not give it away? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif Eh.....I'll just get my coat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Smoothy, just noticed your signature. Where you getting your Bilsteins from ? How much ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Smoothy, just noticed your signature. Where you getting your Bilsteins from ? How much ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't ordered them but they are next on the list! I have H&R springs sitting at home that I bought off of Dunc on here though.

I looked on Eurocar parts but they don't do the sprints as far as I can tell, as I beleive thats what you need for lowering springs as they are shortened.

If anyone knows the best place/price that would be great.

I bought mine from www.motorsportworld.co.uk, who were the cheapest at the time (earlier this year). They had very good customer service too.

I got my last set of discs and pads from Motorsportworld.co.uk - and totally agree; excellent customer service. I was in dire need of parts around the christmas break and they bent over backwards to help me out - I will certainly be checking there first when I come round to suspension/brake/exhaust bits again...

Regards,

Rob.

Awesome GTi were the cheapest on the sprints. Got it written down somewhere. See if I can find it.

Chris.

Here's a quote from Awsome!
[ QUOTE ]

Hi Lee
Those shocks for the S3 are £120ea + vat for the fronts & £80ea + vat for the rears.
I can get them here in 2 days .

Cheers,
John - Sales Manager - Awesome GTI Store

[/ QUOTE ]

So thats £470 inc VAT

Surley we can do better than that.I think Mods should split this thread and create a new one from where the bilstein talk started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So thats £470 inc VAT

Surley we can do better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I paid less than that from Star Performance...although that was a couple of years ago.

[ QUOTE ]

I think Mods should split this thread and create a new one from where the bilstein talk started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it was possible...but I can see no way of doing it...