Sport With Sd Card Nav Or Se With Tech Pack Conundrum

natebrice

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. Made my final mind up to go for a A3 Sportback 1.4 122ps TFSI. This is for a company car where we have a P11d price limit of £23.5k, anything beyond that I need to pay in cash up-front (the company I work for buy the cars and they lap up any discounts and don't pass them on meh!)

So, I have settled on two configurations but just can't decide which to go for. Either way the sat-nav will get a lot of use, as will the media player (love my music), but I'm not sure if the Tech pack is really worth losing the 17" alloys, better inside trim and interior lighting for. Hopefully you can voice your thoughts. My two options:

Option 1:
A3 Sportback SE 1.4 122ps TFSI

+Amalfi White
+Comfort Pack with ACC
+Lumbar Support
+Dual Climate Control (standard in Sport trim)
+Colour Drivers Display (standard in Sport trim)
+Audi Sound System
+Tech Pack (not with Connect)

Option 2:
A3 Sportback SE 1.4 122ps TFSI

+Amalfi White
+Comfort Pack with ACC
+Lumbar Support
+Audi Sound System
+Interior Lighting Package
+SD Card Sat Nav

So, is the Tech Pack over the SD card nav (to someone sat-nav and media heavy) worth losing the Sport trim and interior lighting for? Or is the standard SD card system perfectly fine even for heavy use?

Last edited:
I'd go for the SE version really. I'd rather have the tech pack than the interior lighting package, and you've got the important bits from the sport trim added to your SE spec anyway.

Thanks - is it worth me paying £90 of my own cash up-front for the hold-assist too? I notice you've spec'd it. Never had it on a car though.

EDIT: Also note the Tech Pack will be without Connect, not sure how much of a difference that makes :)

I think the hold assist is fantastic, would definitely spec it again. Out of everyone who has been asked on here about it I can only think of 1 person who I remember saying they don't like it.

Connect is basically the online services bit of it - so you get google earth imagery, traffic shown on the map, text message dictation, news, live parking information, fuel prices, things like that. Worth it if you have the option but not essential.

Just a comment about the hold assist ...

... I've had it on my current Audi A4 for the last 5 1/2 years & was the first option I spec'ed on our new S3.

Having used it for so long I wouldn't be without it. Brilliant bit of kit & for only £90 it would be rude no too

Reactions: cemerson
Is your Option 2 supposed to be Sport trim or have I misunderstood?
I suggest that if you will use the satnav and media player a lot then definitely make sure you have tech pack. A more pleasant experience and as a bonus the tech pack auto-sorts your music for you.
Also, tech pack without Connect also shows traffic on the map.

Also, tech pack without Connect also shows traffic on the map.

It doesn't colour the roads red/amber/green depending on traffic though does it? Only shows the icons in specific spots.

It doesn't colour the roads red/amber/green depending on traffic though does it? Only shows the icons in specific spots.
Shows the icons in the map display, and hatches the affected roads edges in red/white hatching on the map display.

If you go SE you need to add. Think its about £75
Aluminium interior elements – on the vents, glove compartment, mirror adjustment switches, window control switches, frame around the inside door handle, coin box, control buttons for the parking brake and the hold assist button (if fitted

Thanks everyone. Went and compared the Tech Pack to standard screen to today and it's a HUGE difference. The screen isn't just larger, it's far clearer (better daylight filter) and much higher resolution. Completely won me over and gave the dash a massive uplift. That's before considering the additional functions. Definitely going to be tech-pack on the SE, but I'll add the interior elements too as above :)

Also do all the Audi trims have a Start/Stop button or is it key-in-ignition unless you get the keyless option?

Key in ignition unless you spec the advanced key option... have to say I was a little miffed at that, having come from several much less prestigious cars which came with start stop buttons as standard (going right back to 2003 :/ )