Sport for sale...?

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with the idea of selling my 1.8T Sport... I have a Mk3 Golf I've just bought as a project that I will run as I'm getting married and could do with the cash.

So, this is a 'what do you think it's worth' thread.

It's got just over 90k on the clock. It's got mint blue/black sports leather. It's got completely new suspension, coilovers, top mounts, wheel bearings, etc. It also comes with the standard Sport shocks and springs too (complete with old top mounts still attached). It's also had timing belt and tensioner, auxiliary belts and a fresh service. MOT is October, but can put a full one on if it means a sale.

I've just put a new mint bootlid on, so the only cosmetic issues are the bonnet and front bumper.

It'll come also with S8 rims with brand new tyres fitted - not even on the car yet! The BBS's are available by separate negotiation as they are worth a fair bit.

It has a few small cosmetic mods like the LCR splitter, rear blind, boot-lid lip, etc. It also has a decent ICE install (Blaupunkt head-unit with components and crossovers in the doors, 2 ways in the rear with sub and amp in the boot).

So, what does everyone think it's worth? I know what I'll be putting it up for, but I'm just interested in what everyone else thinks they would put it up for.

Giles

With your extra bits (not including the bbs wheels) probably more.. just a bad time to sell at the minute mate.

Fair enough... guess I'll just have to wait around for the right buyer at the price I want for it then. :think:

End of the day you need to consider that to a normal punter the mods arent really worth anything, bar perhaps making it the one they choose out of all the cars they look at. In the open market, its a 10 year old saloon car, and as Lee said is probably worth 1500-2000 quid.

The recession doesnt help, but when you can buy B6's for 3-4grand its always going to push the value of the older model down.

TQS's have been selling for 2-2.5k recently...

I find a nice baseline indication of a cars worth is to look at completed listings on ebay for your model. I could advertise my car on piston heads for 3 grand, but its not going to sell. Hence ebay gives you a nice picture as it shows what the cars actually sold for, when cars are listed too highly priced they simply dont sell and you can see that in the completed items listings as either no bids or a reserve not met.

The values quoted seem so so low. I doubt any 1.8tqs at those kind of prices are decent. I looked at so many dogs before finding my mint one and anything at 2k ish will be a dog I reckon.

The ads highlighted so far haven't been for quattros so will naturally be advertised at lower prices.

Personally I think this is more reflective of what I'd expect

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1133223.htm

And if I'm wrong then I'm screwed as I was planning to sell mine soon and I'm not giving it away for 2.5k!

Well, I was going to put mine up for £2800ono and see what interest I had - then sell the BBS's separately.

That black TQS is very, very nice.

At £2,800, folk will actually be scared to even call. You're talking 2000 MY 1,8TQS money, some even go for less.

@ James: Cost is not representive of a car's condition - paying top dollar doesn't guarantee a well looked after, trouble-free car.

In the same vein, a low priced car can be in good shape, and better than one that's £1,000 more asking price.

Well, we'll have to see about that... the last 3 cars I've sold people on some forums have laughed at the price I put it up at and told me I was dreaming. But, I stuck to my guns for all 3, and every one of them sold for the asking price within two weeks. In fact, my last Mk3 Golf sold for £250 more than the asking price as I had people fighting over it. A guy from Glasgow came down to Grimsby on the train and took it, paying for it before he even came, sight unseen!

There's plenty TDi's going for more with more miles on, older, etc.

Besides, I'm in no rush, not made a final decision as to whether it's going or not yet either, so I'll just post a few ads up here and there and see what kind of reception it gets... and I've still got to get the Golf in for work and paint before I can move the A4 on. Plus I really want to keep the A4 for at least a couple of the VW shows this year.

A decent photo-shoot in a good location tends to spark the interest a bit more too...

There are 2002 B6's on Autotrader for under 3 grand.

TDi's will always fetch more, due to fuel costs, just like a V6 will sell for less. There is even a TDi B6, albeit one with pretty high mileage on autotrader just now for 3k.

Someone might be prepared to give you the money for it, but i dont personally think the car is worth that much. You will scare off the entire "general public" type buyer due to the price, and the fact its on coilovers etc, meaning you need to find an enthusiast who happens to want a car like that. In my mind though, if i was spending £2800 on an A4, Quattro would be a prerequisite.

Giles, it's better to hang on to it for a bit, until the market picks up. I cannot see her de valuing much in the mean time.

I have thought of selling mine recently but i am looking at 2k ish at best i recon. So yours as a facelift is worth around 2.2 k ish IMHO . Sorry mate, not good news i know

i got my 2000 tqs over a year ago for £2500 i think. seen a few on pistonheads for under 3k in the last few months.

I can vouch for the condition of Geemans B5. Really nice specimen, however. Part of the reason I've relist mine is that it wasn't budging under 1k, even with the mileage on her I feel this is too low. I am willing to be sensible about selling it but I plan to hang on until 1) I can afford something around 4-6k 2)I get made to sell her with a glock 17 resting gently against my temple.....

At £2,800, folk will actually be scared to even call. You're talking 2000 MY 1,8TQS money, some even go for less.

@ James: Cost is not representive of a car's condition - paying top dollar doesn't guarantee a well looked after, trouble-free car.

In the same vein, a low priced car can be in good shape, and better than one that's £1,000 more asking price.

Of course cost is representative of a cars condition, well it is if you are savvy and know what you are looking at, then you can decide if the condition matches the cost. I paid what some may say was a premium for mine, but its mint, FASH, owned by Audi service manager, all bills etc etc, so therefore the cost did represent it's condition and one year down the line, it's been perfect and so price I paid was justified.

I looked at some up to 1k less and they were dogs, so I was happy to pay extra for the best tqs available.

Someone may get a bargain for a low price but chances are in my experience of buying cars, you won't and you generally get what you pay for. Hence why when someone buys my car at a slight premium they will get a premium car that was worth the small extra.

i can vouch for James A4 Q nice example, dont sell it mate!

In the event that I ever have to sell mine, I will do what I always do on eBay: Take a comprehensive array of well-taken photos, describe the car objectively, and set a starting bid on the car which leads people to think they might get a bargain, e.g a figure which won't cause you to cry tears of blood for you to let the car go.

I bought mine as a p/x for a grand at 51k in excellent condition, and with the fun I've had from her I don't feel it owes me anything. Therefore, stick it up on the bay for a little less, and, if my lucks in there'll be a few people who want her, and a bidding frenzy will result. Happened with my Saab, first bid £175, four people fought for the car, sold for £477.

Having said that, maybe you'll get someone who desperately wants it and will throw £2800 at you. I remember Alpine sold his for 58 grand or sommat.

Last edited:
Lol aye, alpine got 2500 for a '96 model last year.

Everything i list on ebay goes on at 99p, the only time i deviate from this is if its something thats worth money but not many people want it, because if it only gets one bit you end up selling it for 99p, its quite rare for this to happen though.

Dawns old fiesta which we sold after getting the A4 went on at 99p and sold for £1300, dads old mazda went on at 99p and sold for 550ish.

The starting price is effectively irrelevant, as long as you get a few people interested you'll get what its worth.