1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split driveshaft boot

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by alfiejts, May 22, 2007.

1. alfiejts

alfiejts Member

I've just swapped my offside wheels from front to back, as the front was more worn than the back.
    When I took the front wheel off, I noticed that the outer driveshaft boot was split.

I presume that means that lubricant will escape from the joint and dirt will get in.

Does anyone know if that counts as an MOT failure or is covered by Audi warranty - or if there's any way of easily repairing the boot without removing the driveshaft?

Thanks,
    Graham.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dandle

Dandle Member

Yes a split boot is an MOT failure. I dont know if audi will class it as wear and tear but I would have a good arguement if they wouldnt do it under warranty(the car is only three years old).

It can be replaced without taking the driveshaft off but you will need to get the shaft out of the hub and then there is a tool to stretch th new boot over the cv joint to fit it. Dont forget the cv joint will need cleaning and then regreasing.

4. DIABLO636

DIABLO636 Member

im sure my father just had the same parts replaced under warranty on his passat.....so should be covered on yours.

5. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!
    VCDS Map User

A boot stretcher is next to impossible to use, I always found it easier to remove the CV joint.