1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer out by 10 mph?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by xCoupexAshx, Jun 18, 2010.

1. xCoupexAshx

xCoupexAshx All Torque

hey i got a 98 audi a3 1.8t. had it 1 day been in the garage a few weeks. oh audi ownership i love you....

umm neway 1 prob they cant fix, the speado seems to be out by 10mph or more. any ideas why or how to fix it? the garage have looked n said they coudlnt solve it via vag-com so theyre not sure.

help please?

thanks in advnce
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

out by 10MPH at what speed?

Its common for a speedo to be over 10% out
  3. xCoupexAshx

xCoupexAshx All Torque

err like doin 30 but only showing 20mph on the clocks n i think like 65 on the clocks was about 75-80 mph
  4. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

erm, that is too much, when doing 54mph the tom tom reads 50mph. Im just making a guess, but couldnt it be the cogs have been taking off and put back on wrong or something, like slipped back or something. ?
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sounds like the needle has not been put on correctly. You need to put the dash in calibration mode, where it puts the needles at a specofic point, any deviation and you remove the needle and place it so it points at the correct point
  6. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

Many years ago a friend had a Citroen ZX Volcane Petrol that had been fitted from new with the speedo drive from the Diesel version, that underead everywhere by about 10 MPH, he took it back to the dealer pointing out that according to the gearing per 1000 rpm in top of the car it was massively undereading, and they, get this, said "oh its only going to do that during running in" he pointed out that the gearing is not going to change, ever, they eventually conceded and upon investigation discovered the wrong speedo drive fitted at the factory.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. xCoupexAshx

xCoupexAshx All Torque

yeh the garage said poss a new speado had been fitted n was the wrong one. im not too mechanically minded am afraid. if i take the clocks out woudl there be a part number on it i presume? n any idea to finding out what the correct one i need is, again thanks in advance for all advice =]
  8. leshkin

leshkin Speeding in reverse gear

I had read somewhere that you can set adaptation values via VCDS to correct for different final drives, but I haven't got any idea of the actual procedure.

On a related note - please tell me that you have the correct tyre profile/wheel size on your car and the previous owner did not put some silly 24" wheels on it? That would play havoc with your speedo readings. Use this to find out http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  9. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

ahh yer it could be that even 3 inches can make a difference, thats what ive been told anyway :blush:
  10. xCoupexAshx

xCoupexAshx All Torque

lol, na its got standard a3 alloys on it and tyres. just picked it up from the garage n he think sumones changed the clocks n its the wrong one on there poss, as vag com will connect to it but wont let u change nething. think ima have to live with it... crawling through speed cameras for life haha
  11. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Grab the part number of the speedo when you login with vagcom so we can check etka anyway.