speedo not working, but rev gauge does?!?! pic added

argyle89

Reaction score
my rev counter is working on the car, but the speedo doesnt budge, this has happened since i got the car back from the garage, just thinking befor i take it back couild it be a sensor somewhere and where abouts to check?! any advice great as no idea how fast/slow i am going atm....i have searched but found no answer....not happy at the minute with this car. problem after problem it seems :(

Last edited:
fault code ?

what work did you have done at the garage ?

could just be one the sensors has been unplugged

i dont have the vagcom im trying to source one! had gear selector etc done, but ive checked for unplugged sensors but cant find any.....wheres the sensor located? and now the fuel gauge goes balistic when i accelerate, brake and corner!! thanks for quick relpy! Dan

is your ABS light on ?

i think the a3 using the ABS sensor to pick up the speed signal for dials.

Check for fault codes and check the speed sensor on the gearbox...

<tuffty/>

where abouts is the sensor? ive found a few things on the gearbox, will gets pics up in a minute, but ive found something with a 6mm ish hole in it and wondering if somethings missing!? its at the engine side of the gear box, at the back. will post up asap with pics. thanks again for the replys.

Last edited:
lol is that the speedo cable by any chance? or is there something else? i cant find any loose cables or anything, gonna have another look tomorrow morning...

ahh right, so whats missing out of there then haha?! can you buy vagcome leads off the shelf or do you have to order them? as i might just go buy one tomorrow morning...]

you can buy cheap "vagcoms" from ebay (from my past didn't work)
real vagcom leads £230+
or a fault code reader (which i got from ebay for about £40 never let me down so far)

ahh right, so whats missing out of there then haha?! can you buy vagcome leads off the shelf or do you have to order them? as i might just go buy one tomorrow morning...]

Should be a cap type thing with 3 wires coming out of the plug on it..

VCDS is around £250 for a pukker setup... you can buy leads from eBay for around 10-20 quid though which work with the VCDS Lite though...

<tuffty/>

VCDS is around £250 for a pukker setup... you can buy leads from eBay for around 10-20 quid though which work with the VCDS Lite though...

<tuffty/>

Will that be speedo related or something different? will have a look tomorrow

Yeah, that is where the vehicle speed sensor should be.

Will that be speedo related or something different? will have a look tomorrow

If you mean is this related to why your speedo isn't working then yes... for the speedo to work it kinda needs to have the sensor plugged in :)

<tuffty/>

its just someone else posted some thing about it beind digital so wondered if it was the right sensor. i guess its gotta be in the bay somewhere right?? lol

Again thanks for all the replys!!

<tuffty/>
found that mate and had a look, is there anything inside that cap? like a plastic rod or anything that sits in the hole? ive put it pack on and the speedo still doesnt work....will get a picture late to post up as ive got to get some things sorted out atm.

right got a picture of the cap i found to go on the sensor on the speedo.....can someone tell me if it

1 is the right part lol, and
2 is it broken? thanks!! Dan

This :

Sits ontop of this:

TBH I am not sure as I not taken one off personally but from what I understand how they work then yeah, looks like the sensor part (first pic) is damaged... The bit in the gearbox is a worm drive and the sensor is a hall effect sensor so it would suggest that there is part of it that rotates for it to pick up a signal for the speedo to use...

<tuffty/>

my rev counter is working on the car, but the speedo doesnt budge, this has happened since i got the car back from the garage, just thinking befor i take it back couild it be a sensor somewhere and where abouts to check?! any advice great as no idea how fast/slow i am going atm....i have searched but found no answer....not happy at the minute with this car. problem after problem it seems :(
Hi i have the same issue since last week on my a3 8l i know this is an old post but would like to know if you found the problem and what it was

What car is this? A3 or S3? I don't know for an S3, but on a 5 speed A3 there should be a little plasic part consisting of a square rod with a disc on one end. (S3 may well be the same, I'm not sure.) This drops down into the box before the sensors cap goes on, and it's the bit that spins for the sensor to pick up on, so without it the speedo's not going to work. Personally unless it's ridiculously far away or something I'd just go back to the garage and explain it, they should sort it out for you really.

(Don't worry about the fuel gauge, they do that if there's no speed signal as it thinks you're stationary so doesn't smooth the signal to it. Once the speedo's working again it'll settle back down.)

(Edit: I somehow missed that this was a bumped old thread, I'll leave this here for anyone looking for similar issues anyway.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedrosousa