1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed warning setting

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by FrankScorpio, Mar 4, 2007.

1. FrankScorpio

FrankScorpio Member

[Mar 4, 2007]
    While on the autobahn the other day ;) , I got an alarming beep due to the speed attained. Quick read of the manual and I'm removing it but it was set about 8 mph below where the warning appeared on the speedo.
    So the question is - where does the info for the warning come from if not the speedo?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 4, 2007]
    The car also has a digital speed readout(it's in KM) which you can access through ClimateControl(that's if you have it) by pressing certain buttons in a sequence, so maybe it takes it's speed reading from that?
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 4, 2007]
    or you can reset the average speed option on the DIS while doing say 80mph on the motorway. This will give you a more accurate reading. Speedo's have to be set to overread (some EU safety ********), this can be 5-10% over.
  5. FrankScorpio

FrankScorpio Member

[Mar 4, 2007]
    Cheers for the replies!

So if the speedo says I'm doing 120 but the secondary speed alarm is set to 110 and hasn't gone off, I'm actually doing less than 110, rather than the indicated 120.
    Seems bizarre to have two speed readings availabe, one over reading and one accurate.
  6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 4, 2007]
    I wouldn't exactly say that the second speed is accurate, they should both register the speed from the same sensor, but one is displayed digitally, the other analogue on your clocks. Depends how they are calibrated as suggested by Andymac.