Speed Cameras

BerkshireFlipper

Reaction score
As you may or may not have seen in some of the papers last week / weekend, it would appear that finally speeding fines have been shown to be nice little earners for just about every police force in the country and are seemingly used purely for generating revenue.

It would also appear that the motorists have finally had enough and are starting to voice thier opinions on this matter.

Want to help? Click the link, download and print the petition and send it off.

Mine went today while i was also posting my NIP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

S.A.F.E.R.

(PS there's a camera van most of the time during the day on the A404 Marlow Hill towards the M40, pointing down the hill. Not that any of us speed down there but just in case the car's momentum down that steep hill carries it over the speed limit of 40mph, be aware!)

I have to admit though, I am in 2 minds about this one.

After all, speeding through urban areas, built-up area's, school area's etc. is pretty bad.....

yes, spotted them on Friday. Wasn't sure if it was catching people going up or down. possibly both! There isn't an instant graemlin that fits how they make me feel so these will have to do - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Yeah I'm not sure either - I would have thought going down, as they've now got white painted lines there - but I am extra careful going up too.

Damn camera van's - don't put them in dangerous spots, like where people shoot through red lights or across roundabouts without looking - causing nasty accidents, let's put them on long straight bits of road with few (if any) housing or buildings of any sort !!!!!!!

i don't think anyone would disagree about having a camera in a built up area or outside a school.

it's when they shove one up on motorways (statisctically the safest roads) and roads in the middle of nowhere that really p**ses people off (me included).

the government need to step in and stop them being used as a way of gaining revenue...and get the police onto less serious crimes (goin on what it appears like at the mo), like murders and rapes.

if it doesn't get put under control then in ten years there will be a camera every ten metres.

no Alex, got it just before, possibly a camera, possibly a van.

Jo, they aren't saying that speeding in built up areas is acceptable, What they ARE saying that using the motorist as a source of revenue is unacceptable. This is why they are calling for sensible policing of roads and penalising careless/dangerous drivers or drivers of cars that are unfit for the road rather than sticking up a camera that indiscriminately takes pictures of people who transgress by more than a few miles an hour regardless of time, weather and traffic conditions.

Yep I agree with all that - the places they put camera's just seem to generate revenue - hidden behind trees, on unoccupied roads and on motorways.

There's aroundabout outside my office where at least once a week probably more, someone shoots the red lights and has a smash. Why not put one there and save these accidents.

I agree totally that it is pure revenue generation - what about Northamptonshire (I think) where I was driving recently and they have downgraded their 60mph country roads to 40's - no reason that I can see!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:Okay so there was road works - I'd slowed to 60, but unknown to me it was a temp 40???

[/ QUOTE ]

Controversial but to my mind you deserve the points. In fact you were very close to being 50% over the limit and risking a ban.

Roadworks on motorways are very dangerous for the workers hence having the speed limit. You also need to be careful about saying that you didn't realise the speed limit had changed to 40. This could have got you done for Careless Driving.
What made you slow to 60 if you didn't see any speed signs?

From past experience these are the usual situation when a 40 is required on a mw.

Ie. narrower lanes, adverse camber, diagonally crossing intersection, etc.