1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed cameras on the M25.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by StateOfPlay, Oct 13, 2012.

1. StateOfPlay

StateOfPlay Well-Known Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    I travel around this blessed motorway on a daily basis, joining it at South Mimms and either going clockwise to East London, or anti clockwise towards slough.

There are gantry's all along the route, some of which have a speed camera sign and a grey camera box on the other side.

And yet, I see people speeding past them at 90 mph as if they don't work.

Does anybody know if any of these cameras actually work?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 20, 2014]

3. NICK-C

NICK-C Nick

[Oct 13, 2012]
    I thought they only worked when they put the 60 and 50 etc displays up on them??
  4. AidenUK

AidenUK Well-Known Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    They only work when they have a speed limit displayed on the matrix sign. They are variable speed type camera but are only active when a designated MPH is displayed.
  5. StateOfPlay

[Oct 13, 2012]
    So this means I have to go at the speed or it catches me:

[​IMG]

And this means they are not on at all and if I went through them at 85 I wouldn't get flashed:

[​IMG]

Is that right?
  6. poverty

poverty Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    risky strategy, but I have witnessed my own friends go through the gantries on the m1 at STUPID speeds, and nothing ever happens. Usually scenario going and coming back from the pod. Me personally, i dont chance it
  7. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Oct 13, 2012]
    I was once a passenger in a car that was traveling at 3 figure speeds from St Albans all the way to Croyden late one night (the guy was showing off), no matrix was lit & no camera flashed until the very last one before we exited! The driver was banned.

They're usually the SPECS type, which measure average speeds & don't need to flash to record your registration! I believe they're also set to flash to give hardcore speeders pause for thought if they continue offending over a given distance! it's also been said that changing lanes foils them ...who wants to be the Lab Rat? :)
  8. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Oct 13, 2012]
    i never risk it now
  9. AidenUK

AidenUK Well-Known Member

[Nov 19, 2012]
    Correct!

Well i say correct, nothing is 100% no risk but I've been through them over 70mph.
  10. coatesy

coatesy poking badgers with spoons

[Nov 19, 2012]
    Iv been through them at light speed in my millennium falcon and never been caught.....

That's a lie my millennium falcon doesn't do light speed, its plastic and is also a toy..
    Zak0123 likes this.
  11. Soot1

Soot1 Member

[Nov 19, 2012]
    Correct. Also, If the red speed signs are illuminated there is not always a camera on every sign and every lane, they seem to have installed camers randomly now.
  12. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Nov 20, 2012]
    That's my understanding too - used to commute daily from the a3 to m4 junction and my experience is similar to Aiden's. Equally, I've been through the 50mph ones at 70 and didn't get flashed, but that's probably more risky!
  13. enoliver

enoliver Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Yes, the cameras are only on when the speed limit is on, and off at all other times; and as stated by Soot1, there are not cameras on every gantry, but you can usually see them before getting to it. I have in the past, had competitions with colleagues on night shift, to see how fast one can do a lap of the M25, and none of us were ever booked!
  14. Luke2.0tdi2006

Luke2.0tdi2006 Member

[Jan 14, 2013]
    I work for the highways agency on the M25 and can tell you that you CAN get away with going through the variable speed cameras when speed is set to lower than national speed limit, i.e. If gantry is set at 50 and your doing 70 you WILL get away with it, however between J10(A3) and J20(A41) CLOCKWISE there are TWO cameras that WILL definatly get you 3 points and a fine and or a ban, depending on your speed....
    1. between J11 - J12 (Just before slip off for M3) seems to mainly be in lane 4 (outside lane or fast lane depending on what you call it) I sat on opposite carriageway one day and watched the camera flash speeding vehicles, in 30mins we counted 67 vehicles get flashed, the gantry was set at 50 and could see most vehicles were doing 70+ even if gantry speed is not restricted observe Nat speed limit.
    2 Between J15 - J16 (marker post 98/6) ALL lanes ANY time!
    Since the M25 was widened between J15 and J12 the speed cameras have all been digital and DO NOT need to flash, personally (in my own vehicle) would never risk anything above 90mph, except the two locations mentioned above where Nat speed limit/variable speed limit is ALWAYS observed, I been getting away with it for 11yrs on M25!
    Note: I'm not the law or anything to do with the cameras just letting you know what I know and what has worked for me, the national speed limit is 70(hope to soon be 80) so anything over that your risking your licence
  15. StateOfPlay

[Jan 14, 2013]
    I read an article in the paper where they had made a request under the Freedom Of Information Act regarding how many tickets were issued on the M25 for the last 12 months.

The answer was NONE. Apparently, there is a legal issue that is still outstanding that has prevented them from charging anyone with speeding.
  16. StateOfPlay

[Jan 14, 2013]
  17. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Jan 14, 2013]
    I've not read all the replys but i will tell you what i do know about them, they are on sometimes and the cameras are moved arround to differant camera holding boxes, so to say this one here is on and that one there is off is diceing with danger, I over come the whole issue by buying a Radar Detector Device made by a company called "BelTronics" you can find them on Ebay as Beltronics wont ship there stuff outside of the USA direct, My unit tells me which ones are on and the beeping sounds gets bigger the closer you get to the live camera, there are also cameras on the M1 no just south of Luton where the M1 goes into 6 lanes and you have for what i would call the shoot as the M1 has a nice dip to it and if your in the perfect conditions, you can really open up your rides horses, if you get my drift, hence the Coppers have had cameras installed there as it makes them a fortune!

Anyway here is what you will need, new ones are a few £'s but 2nd hand units are out there on Ebay,

Beltronics RX-65 RADARWARNER RADARWARNGERÄT BLITZERWARNER RADAR DETECTOR -BLUE- | eBay
  18. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Jan 15, 2013]
    That was a type approval issue which has since been rectified by the powers that be.