Speed Camera in Chandlers ford

dsmclark40v

Reaction score
Apparently there is now a speed camera on school lane in chandlers ford. A friend was told about it by a police man. It is just by the turn in for brickfield lane. there are no markings on the road and it is a black box. Apparently they changed the law at the begining of this month so they don't have to paint them yellow. I am heading past it in an hour so i'll take a picture of it to post on here. people fly down that road so loads of people will be done. apparently the local chief of police was almost knocked off his bike by a speeding motorist

Sounds like it's near a school if it's on school lane, so fair enough. I don't have any problem with camera's that are sited properly, like genuine accident blackspots and near schools etc.

The new laws relating to speed camera's does not change their conspicuity. The purpose of the camera is to prevent accidents, so a camera that is hidden is only a revenue collection device, not a safety device. The new laws relate to the funding of new camera's. New camera's cannot be funded by the proceeds of present speed camera's, each Road Safety Partnership is allocated a fixed budget now, and new camera's have to be funded from that budget. The revenue from speed camera's will now go to the government coffers.

More info here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_067427.pdf

Well I was just talking to someone and they don't think it is and rekons the guy was making it up. but its one of those things where its better to be safe than sorry. Its not actually anywhere near a school but people do drive much to fast down there and there is often a mobile trap
DSC00171.jpg

I doubt thats a camera but more likely to be a monitoring device, similar to the 2 wires that used to be laid across the road. Maybe they are planning to fit a camera or other "traffic calming" measures. They used to be a requirement for there to be 3 accidents at a potenial camera site though that might have changed as well.

Looks like it might be one of those signs that light up if you're exceeding the limit. They haven't fitted the sign yet.

Looks like a ANPR camera (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), nothing to do with speed!

Pips is the company/technology that make them, hence the sign behind!

Oh yeah i just googled it. i'll have to ask my mate what he was on about then.