SPECS Speeding

JaCkPoT

Reaction score
Hi there, I think yesterday i was caught by SPECS speeding on the m5 just before getting onto M6 northbound.

Now im prepared to receive and accept a ticket but im scared im gonna receive multiple tickets and may lose my license.

I just want to know if i could argue all the speeding tickets are one offence as i was speeding constantly and did not speed, slow down, speed up again etc..

was doing about 85 on clock, 82 on gps

Don't want to put the wind up you but my friends sister lost her licence in the same way in one trip on the way to London

The camera's at the start of the roadworks, 50MPH limit?? Don't be to surprised if you do get more than 3points, the Safety camera partnerships are not to keen on speeding at roadworks, friend of a friend got taken to court for 78MPH average through roadworks, think it was 6 points and a hefty fine, driving without due care and attention IIRC.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Hi there, I think yesterday i was caught by SPECS speeding on the m5 just before getting onto M6 northbound.

Now im prepared to receive and accept a ticket but im scared im gonna receive multiple tickets and may lose my license.

I just want to know if i could argue all the speeding tickets are one offence as i was speeding constantly and did not speed, slow down, speed up again etc..

was doing about 85 on clock, 82 on gps
You could argue that but you've just taken it from a speeding offence [one or multiple] to a possible additional offence of undue care and attention because you admitted "you were speeding constantly" therefore not paying attention to the road conditions ahead.

The camera's at the start of the roadworks, 50MPH limit?? Don't be to surprised if you do get more than 3points, the Safety camera partnerships are not to keen on speeding at roadworks, friend of a friend got taken to court for 78MPH average through roadworks, think it was 6 points and a hefty fine, driving without due care and attention IIRC.

You're spot on there the op says he was doing between 82-85 if he has been caught he won't get a fixed penalty he will receive a notice of prosecution and will have to attend court then its down to the magistrate on the day.

Why was you going that fast through a SPECS section anyway?

Just to clear up a few things, it wasn't the 50mph zone, I turned my cruise control on and sat at 50 for that zone. The reason I sped through the specs zone although it was 70mph limit, is because the first few specs came as said 'camera not in use' so I ignored the cameras until further on I looked at a few and realised they didn't have the sign saying they weren't in use! So that's why I'm sure the cameras got me. ****** scared now, only turned 19 so have 6 points (half licence) for another year still...

To be honest, those cameras are pretty invisible in the dark. surely they need lighting up better to be enforceable?

Il let you guys know if i got caught or not, it really doesnt bother me getting 3 points as i can utilise the speed awareness course,its the multiple offences im scared of!

Not quite the same situation but I got flashed (twice) on the M1 northbound on the way back from London by one of those variable speed limit gantry things. There was no NSL or speed limit showing on the signs (hence why I thought they were not active). It was 4am early Sunday morning on an empty dry motorway stretch and I was cruising at 1.15 leptons.

It has been 19 days and nothing has come through the post. Apparently they are starting to enforce them even without NSL being lit but above a certain speed threshold (>100mph I believe). That's the last time I'll be going through there at anything more than 99 leptons!

If you were in the 70 section and not the road works section I would think it unlikely you will get a ticket for 82mph on the GPS. They have 14 days to issue the NIP (not you receive it). Pepipoo is a good source of info.

TBH if you have a clean licence now it should only be a 3 pointer and that makes no difference to insurance as I got much worse in 2012 and that made no difference either to the insurance.

It is highly unlikely that you will get multiple tickets as most of the cameras are detterents and not actually live

Reactions: Bulbul68
Il let you guys know if i got caught or not, it really doesnt bother me getting 3 points as i can utilise the speed awareness course,its the multiple offences im scared of!

Just FYI if you don't already know these things...

speed awareness course is only given out BELOW a certain speed
roadworks limits or any other limit that is in a RED circle is enforcable, anything else is advisory only
14 days inc weekends is the cut off limit for a NIP. After that it wont arrive
CRAWLER lanes with variable speed limits on or between them are 60mph limits unless states otherwise, they are not dual carriageways that hold a 70mph limit
SPECS works with infrared and therefore works day and night
The "rumour" about single lane monitoring with SPECS is indeed a rumour and lane switching to fool the speed trap aint gonna work
If you go through any camera or static camera above 93mph in a 70 limit MajiK ... expect to wave at the magistrate shortly after lol :)

Reactions: sidibear

roadworks limits or any other limit that is in a RED circle is enforcable, anything else is advisory only
CRAWLER lanes with variable speed limits on or between them are 60mph limits unless states otherwise, they are not dual carriageways that hold a 70mph limit
The "rumour" about single lane monitoring with SPECS is indeed a rumour and lane switching to fool the speed trap aint gonna work
If you go through any camera or static camera above 93mph in a 70 limit MajiK ... expect to wave at the magistrate shortly after lol :)

Point taken, I must have been extremely lucky on this occasion! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Av4nt

This wasn't a rumour, the SPECS cameras did not have type approval for that sort of detection so that absolutely did work. They have that all important type approval now so lane swapping is no longer a get out.

Reactions: Av4nt

Speed awareness is 10% + 9mph for a first offence from most forces.

Its 96mph isn't it before you say hello to a judge.

I ****ing hate motorway driving because of the variable speed limits, in a 5 mile stretch yesterday I had a 50 limit, then national, then 60, then 50 then national again. Pain in the *** having to stare at my speedo all the time

I ****ing hate motorway driving because of the variable speed limits, in a 5 mile stretch yesterday I had a 50 limit, then national, then 60, then 50 then national again. Pain in the *** having to stare at my speedo all the time

Fit a cruise control?

Quick update, its been 8 days and ive not heard anything yet, but im not getting my hopes up one bit, still run to the post to check everyday lol! The journey was made on Friday the 7th... Am i right in thinking 14 days would be 21st/22nd or does the 14 days not include weekends?

They have fourteen working days to post the notice of intended prosecution so could be 17 to 18 days . Sorry been there got the T shirt, sleepless nights !!!!!

In that case, been 6 working days and i havent heard anything... another 8 working days to go... arghh hate waiting lol

The NIP has to be served within 14 days if I recall, no mention of working days so it's basically 2 weeks from date of offence. If you get a ticket don't rush into paying it, make sure there are no others in the post first. In the unlikely event you get more than one you'd be better off with a day in court, your lawyer will be able to negotiate with the prosecutor and the probability is that if you offer to plead guilty to one offence they will accept that to save on court time. If you are over the threshold it's court anyway. Unless you qualify for legal aid your legal expenses will probably be more than your fine, worth it to cut down on points though.

Someone mentioned to me that anything over the threshold they are able to prosecute within 6 months and not limited by the 14 day cut off?

Someone mentioned to me that anything over the threshold they are able to prosecute within 6 months and not limited by the 14 day cut off?

No mate, they are wrong, the notice of intended prosecution must be served regardless of speed, it also needs to be served in connection with a whole load of other offences including careless and dangerous driving. He's maybe getting a bit confused, the NIP isn't the actual prosecution, it's a notice telling you that you will be reported for consideration of a prosecution, think of it like a 'heads up', the prosecution itself should be commenced within 6 months though, usually by service of a copy complaint, which is maybe what he's thinking about.

The only time you would not receive a written NIP is if you had been stopped and charged by the police who would give you the NIP verbally.

If i recall correctly an NIP is not required if there has been an accident, don't quote me on that though!