1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec Recommendations

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by imported_KuniD, Apr 6, 2005.

1. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Hi all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We're looking into getting a Sportback, and wanted to ask if there are any hints/tips/things I should know. (Problems, whats not worth getting etc.)

Here's what we're thinking about

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line

(The 18" 5-arm Alloys - are these the RS6 wheels?)

Options:

Parking Sensors
    Auto-dimming Folding Door Mirrors
    Cruise Control
    Front Centre Armrest
    Light & Rain Sensor Pack
    Open Sky System
    Pearlescent Paint
    Satellite Navigation System
    Syphony II Radio/Cassete + 6CD + Bose
    Xenon Headlamps

Still considering the colour, Ebony Black (Pearl) is at the top of our list right now.

Does anyone have a Sportback with the Open Sky System with a lighter coloured paint?

Also, hunting around for the best deal, so any recommendations for brokers or good dealers welcome. (I've checked UKNewCars and they've quoted me £25,465 with a discount of £2074.)
  2. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Apr 6, 2005]

speak to your local dealer they should be able to price match!

drive the deal normally do decents prices as well!

J.
  3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Front centre armrest is a must,but expensive at £ 95.00 !

With the benefit of hindsight I would definitely go for xenons,as the standard lights are **** (IMO).

Again,with hindsight,I wouldn't bother with Bose as,if you want good sound, the £355 upgrade cost would be better spent at any aftermarket car audio dealer.

I'd have cruise instead.
  4. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Apr 6, 2005]

But I have bose and love it this is the first car for years and years I haven't felt the need to put in a couploe of amps, sub and change all the speakers...
  5. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Disagree about the lights, the standard ones are significantly better than my golf ones were.
    Love Bose, but haven't done a side by side comparison to see just how much better it is than standard.
    Absolutly love the auto dimming mirrors.
    Didn't order rear park assist and wish i had (rear vision in the 3dr is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif)
    Got the Auto wipers and i'm not overly fussed with them, could do without them.
    Armrest a must, especially with DSG
    Interiror light pack is a nice touch
    didn't spec cruise and and don't miss it that much.

Votex bodykit is a definite must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif (or Oettinger if you're minted)
  6. alexkoon

alexkoon Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Light and Rain Sensor and the dimming door mirrors - you need the dimming mirror as well for this. And its a must. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

6CD on Symphony? It comes with a built in 6 cd changer - may consider PhatNoise instead unless you really want 12CDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  7. skempster

skempster Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Recommend leather/alcantara seats. Warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and grippier all year round.

Some people say all leather looks better but IMHO the 2 tone effect looks smarter but then I'm not a fan of leather in my lounge either, if you see what I mean...
  8. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Thanks for all the replies guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The interior light pack ~ what is this exactly?

About leather seats - Its listed as standard?!

"Leather / Speed cloth upholstery"

Only seems to be one colour option for the leather as well; black.
  9. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Leather on the outside,cloth in the middle.
    Better than full leather,IMO anyway.
  10. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Apr 6, 2005]
    yep, agree with Bowfer. Had full leather in my much tamer diesel golf and was forever slipping around the cabin.
    Half and half is ideal, go for the silver and black combo it's sweeeet.
  11. imported_pplpilot1

imported_pplpilot1 Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Alcantara. Nuff said.

I think it makes the interior very classy and it wont go shiny 'Just' on the drivers side as this is the most used...

I think this can really prematurely age an interior.
  12. djoblong

djoblong Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Alcantara leather is definitely excellent option as Steve K pointed out. Also agree Xenons are great, as is Bose and armrest. I have no cruise control and rarely find a motorway with enough clear space to use it on anyway so nothing missed there. Might be different if the travel a lot out of peak times. Open Sky would be good I imagine but was't available when I got mine. Rear parking sensors are "for people who can't drive" as was mentioned in a nother post, although might save you a few bucks in paint jobs if you are impaired. Sportback has good rear visibility. Satnav is very expensive but good if you can afford it - if not for a TomTom/NavMan/PDA type solution which are also very effective. Don't have the light pack or rain sensors or auto dimming. They are purely options I would get if you had more money than sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  13. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Apr 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rear parking sensors are "for people who can't drive"

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrow a 3dr off of the dealer and say that again...
  14. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The interior light pack ~ what is this exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a must-have option, in my book at least. It includes:
    - lights in the footwells
    - lights in the doorjambs
    - very nice red glow lights that very subtly illuminate the area in front of the dashboard (when driving in darkness, you can just see your hands, tinted red /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
    - lit vanity mirrors.
  15. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    I won't be driving the car much, I've got a Mk5 2.0 TDI, its more for my Dad. He's been driving estates for decades now, but wants to downsize so we've mostly been looking at saloons and he wanted parking sensors as rear visibility is poor... I suppose this wouldn't be a problem with the Sportback though, so we may take that off.

Haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, hopefully this weekend; rear legroom is a big deciding point, is it equel or more than the Golf Mk5? They seem to have gotten used to the space available in mine. My mum found the rear legroom in the A4 terrible, so she's not optimistic, but I think it should have at least as much as the Golf.
  16. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Apr 6, 2005]
    The spec you've choosen looks great.

Not sure how the symphony 2 and sat nav tie up though.

And i think you can now upgrade s-line 1/2 leather seats to full leather in black only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  17. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not sure how the symphony 2 and sat nav tie up though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not well, iirc... You see, when you specifiy Nav+ with the Symphony, you lose the benefit of the in-dash 6cd changer.

What you do have is a DVD player which can play CDs, but not while navigation is on, so forget it (it's behind the motorized 6.5" screen, along with two SD card slots).

If you want a CD changer, it goes in the glove box. It does cost extra though. I remember paying quite a bit for that, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but I'm happy I did. Having CDs and the SD cards makes for lots of flexibility.
  18. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Cheers JB, anyone got any pics of the Sat nav with the Symphony?
  19. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    lol, so many Satnav/Audio options...

Here's the options (prices taken from broker site)

Concert II radio plus single CD (0)
    Concert II radio/single CD player plus BOSE system (302)

6 CD autochanger in glovebox (272)

Symphony ll radio/cassette plus 6CD autochanger (225)
    Symphony ll radio/cassette plus 6CD autochanger plus Bose system (527)

DVD Satellite navigation system plus (1851)
    DVD Satellite navigation system plus plus BOSE sound system (2153)
    Satellite navigation system (1106)

The two things he really wants is Satnav and Bose... if there is a single CD on the dash, he could live with it.

He just wants the basic Satnav, doesn't want to pay double for DVD etc, which (being old lol) he won't use.

So basic "Satnav (1106)" and "Concert II radio/single CD player plus BOSE system (302)" should do the trick?
  20. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I
    rear legroom is a big deciding point, is it equel or more than the Golf Mk5? They seem to have gotten used to the space available in mine. My mum found the rear legroom in the A4 terrible, so she's not optimistic, but I think it should have at least as much as the Golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know how it compares to the Golf but there's more legroom than in my A4.
    All my larger than average mates,who come to away games with me,have stated so.
  21. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 6, 2005]
    My only comment is that just about every A3 3dr or Sportback that you see on the road these days is Black - rather common.
  22. imported_unkle

imported_unkle Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rear parking sensors are "for people who can't drive"

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrow a 3dr off of the dealer and say that again...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definately agree with you there, the only gripe I have with my A3 is the poor rear vision, sounds daft but I didnt take a test drive so didnt realise quite how bad it is or how essential rear parking sensors are...

Will be the first optional extra I take next time.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
  23. gizze

gizze Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Don't get the basic nav, you need the Nav+ as this is the one with the screen, then add a cd changer if he won't beable to put all his music onto SD cards.

See my gallery for pics of the Nav+.

Only problem with all that spec on an A3 is it will loose loads of money. Mine had pretty much what you have specced and came to over £27k, it was a July 04 car and when I sold it last week I got £20,600 for it, where as same age and milage cars with no spec. costing around £22k new are getting about £19k. If he is going to keep it for a few years then fair enough.
  24. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Ahh so the normal non-plus Satnav doesn't come with a screen? Doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  25. gizze

gizze Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    No you get a control down near the handbrake and you get basic arrows come up on the instrument cluster for instructions,
  26. imported_KuniD

imported_KuniD Guest

[Apr 6, 2005]
    Thats Satnav of the list then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  27. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Apr 6, 2005]
    I find the arm rest just gets in the way of the handbrake - pointless if you are driving around town, ok for cruising.

Auto wipers are something and nothing, sometimes turn them off!

Interior light pack exudes class!

Agree with Eeef that the standard lights are very good.

You not having the roof rails?

What dealers in E Sussex have you visited?
  28. jungle

jungle Member

[Apr 9, 2005]
    Feedback on the options I do have (rather than my opinions on those I do not have)
    Cruise is a must for me.
    Armrest is no biggy.
    Normal lights are ok ish
    Dimming mirrors are a good thing
    Auto wipers - I drove another car without them for 2 days and really missed not having the wipers work out their own speed automatically
    Auto lights is no biggy
    Interior lights is no biggy

With hindsight I would go for

Cruise
    Quattro
    DSG
    Light sensor / wiper pack

and that would do just fine.

Obviously if you have none of the options you will not miss them - as proved by everyone telling you that the options they don't have are the ones not worth having anyway... so maybe you should go for a base model and save a few quid?
  29. jungle

jungle Member

[Apr 9, 2005]
    Rear legroom is better in the Golf by the way..
  30. h5djr

[Apr 9, 2005]
    As far as spec is concerned I have a 3dr SE spec A3 and would make the following comments:

DSG - great, would not like a 2.0TDI without it.
    Standard lights - OK with uprated bulbs
    Cruise control - I never use it
    Centre armrest - never use when driving - have used when stopped.
    Light sensor / wiper pack - useful
    Dimming interior mirror - very good
    Dimming exterior mirrors - essential
    Folding mirrors - seems to give problems with mirrors not returning to original position everytime.
    Interior lighting pack - excellent and adds class
    Luggage pack - useful for 12v socket in the boot - I use it to plug in my GPS
    Prefer the Concert II radio - enables to air con controls to be higher in the console and gives me a space to store the glasses I use for driving.
    No smoking pack - better than an ashtray and gives a covered 12v socket
    Glovebox mounted CD player - very useful - saves having to keep changing CDs.
    SatNav - use my PDA with a Brodit mount and boot mounted GPS
    Acoustic parking system - very useful as rear vision for parking is not that good.
    DIS - would not want to be without it
    Cloth upholstery - don't personally like leather
    Interior colour - I have Light Grey - much prefer to a dark colour - lots of comments about 'classy' it looks.
    Exterior colour - Silver - easy to look after - Black, which seems to be a propular choice is very common - every A3 you see these days seems to be Black. Go for something else.
  31. Paul_M

Paul_M Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    I find the armrest great with DSG, but in previous loan cars that have been manuals I've just found that it gets in the way.
  32. beaker

beaker Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    I am about to order but just cant decide the colour. Can anyone give advice about cars in the flesh as it where, oh btw I'm having an A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line DSG.

Saw a 3 doer S line at dealers in a dark grey which looked very mean.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  33. h5djr

[Apr 10, 2005]
    The most common colour at the moment seems to be black. The only problem is that it's the worst colour to keep looking clean and smart and almost every other A3 you see on the road is also black - boring.

Personally my A3 is silver. I've have had quite a number of Audis and the last 4 have been A3s and they have all been Silver. Audis always look good in Silver and it's a colour that is easy to keep looking smart. Mine is actualy the Silver metallic but there are 3 in the colour range at the moment which are all shades of silver - Silver metallic, Akoya Silver and Avus Silver. The last one is only available in the S version so is a little more 'unique'

In the end it's down to personal preference and what you like. Hope this helps.
  34. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    And silver cars aren't common???

Come on!!!

Black or silver are probably on the road as much but who cares what is popular with other people, you buy a car because you like it, doesn't matter what colour other people have.
  35. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And the Nav+ will make the car stand out from all the others come resale, beleive me my last 4 cars have had it and it is what has sold them for me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

= stupid comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Of course it makes it look better. You are giving the next buyer a very expensive present. Because that's what it is!!

You won't get the money back for it. If you need it, get it, if not, putting things into a new car to make it more sellable will cost YOUR pocket the money not the next buyers.
  36. h5djr

[Apr 10, 2005]
    Mark N - I didn't say silver cars aren't common. I said that black A3s are. You do not see many new A3s in silver, at least not in the UK. Almost every new A3 or Sportback you see on the road at the moment is black. Just look at how many forum members A3s are black ! I drove 160 miles yesterday and the only non-black A3 I saw was bright yellow.

Each to his own but as I also said Black is much more difficult to keep looking nice than Silver. I have owned a Black car in the past but would not want another.
  37. miketweed

miketweed Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    Here Here!

Mines Silver Metallic too. Great colour when its dirty or clean!

Its a very 'bright' silver compared to other manufacturers, especially when it's clean. I bought silver because of how it looks great after a quick clean, no problem with smears or drips showing up (or the inevitable car-park door dinks and scrapes!!)

V popular second hand too for the same reason.
  38. COLDSTEEL

COLDSTEEL Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
  39. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Apr 10, 2005]
    I chose Silver for my Sportback after touring dealers for weeks to see Sportbacks in virtually all the colours.

Silver looks great with the new grille, the Alu rails, the Alu interior and the big alloys!
  40. h5djr

[Apr 10, 2005]
    Looks very smart. Colours are very much a personal thing which is why manufacturers make a range available. At one time you could have any colour you liked, providing it was Black. At least now we have a choice.

By the way the link worked just fine by clicking it !