1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker sugestions for A4 B5 avant

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by wellhouse0, Apr 13, 2008.

1. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

[Apr 13, 2008]
    2000 X plate avant, has anyone got any suggestions for speaker upgrades without rebuilding the car. Can you buy speaker pods ready made for this car. Car currently has double din symphony unit which i'm replacing with double din pioneer avic unit. I think the car has some sort of bose system at the rear and standard at the front as it sounds very bassy at the rear.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 13, 2008]
    You need to figure out if you have the Bose system or not. Check the rear cubbyholes for the Bose amp & sub. If you do have Bose then all speakers run off the Bose amp, and they are 2 ohm impedance so replacing with standard 4 ohm units will drive the Bose amp to work a bit harder for the same volume.
    If you want better sound then simply pull the HU and cut the earth wire going to the Bose pin on the back of the unit. This will give you more bass/treble control.
  4. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

[Apr 18, 2008]
    thanks andy, i've checked and i have the non bose, half amped setup, i,ve taken out original symphony and replaced it with pioneer hd1. i was going to replace front speakers with rainbow slx230 deluxe if i can find adaptors, will the front doors take 6.5's, i was then going to bypass the original amp if i can pick up the original rear speaker wires and run phonos from the hu to a new amp to power the rear speakers and a new sub. do you know the easiest place to pick up rear speaker wires, cheers
  5. Adam-D

Adam-D Member

[Apr 18, 2008]
    i used 16cm infinity speakers in the rear,
    and 13cm infinity speakers in the front.

components.

and cut a hole for the tweeter, and made a mdf ring for the speaker
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 18, 2008]
    i'd be interested to see how you fitted the infinities in the front

i baught a set for mine and because of the way the fitting adaptors bolt down to the front of the speaker frame instead of the rear like normal it was crushing the rubber suspension around the cone and killing all the bass, the original nokia speakers actually sounded better than the infinities and i ended up swapping them back!
  7. AndyMac

[Apr 18, 2008]
    Which is why you're better off making your own as you can then give the adapter ring enough space to accomodate any protrusions on the specific unit you're fitting as most decent speakers stick out quite a way at the front. You need to make 2 different sized MDF rings. One to fit to the door card and go over the mounting mosts and sit flush to the door card, and the other larger one to fit the speaket and give it the necessary clearance. It's quite a tight squeeze and doesn't really give you the best from the speaker as ultimately the they are still bolted to a flimsy door card loosely clipped to the door.
    And no you can't fit anything bigger than 5.25" unless you go with a custom door build.
  8. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 18, 2008]
    yer its not ideal

I'm probably going to get my finger out and build a fibreglass sub box that will allow me to fit the sub neatly into the side of the boot and leave the rest of the speakers as they are.
  9. AndyMac

[Apr 18, 2008]
    Auto Acoustics do them ready made for the B5 but they're shyte. I bought one off ebay to try out and couldn't believe how hopeless fibreglass is compared to MDF, and they're like £180 each new!