Speaker Problem

TheSpaceCowboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to get my rear speakers to work, I apparantly have the correct adapter but it still isnt working, I've checked and changed the fuses, swapped the connections but have no idea why my rear speakers and sub are'nt working! They are OEM as come with the car, the front speakers work and the headunit functions fine, I have the power antenna connected correctly and have tried tracing the wires using wiring diagrams and seem to have them connected properly is there a trick to this I'm not getting? Can anyone shed any light on this?

you havent got them faded all the way to the front by any chance? Worth checking!!:icon_thumright:

No mate, I checked after each connection by fading to the rear and putting the sub level up to 15! This is an alpine unit if it makes any difference.

If you have sub level then you have a sub pre-out, you can't connect the rear Audi amp to a sub pre-out. The rear speakers and sub all work off the ame amp (inside the tupperware sub), so you have to drive this amp with the rear pre-outs, or better still rewire the rears directly to the HU, and then use the sub pre-out to just drive the sub, not that you'll be able to hear it as it will be drowned out by cabin speakers.
I take it you're using the RCA input adapter. remember you have to connect the blue flying lead on this adapter to the 12v "remote on" connection on the Alpine in order to trigger the switch for the rear amp, otherwise it won't switch on at all. You can use the power antenna connection but on some "clever" HU's this is only 12v when the radio is on, and switches off when listening to CD's.

Thanks andy very helpful, I knew could count on you for help! I only have 1 set of pre-outs. I also could use help deciphering which cables in the yellow connector do what as I'm having trouble identifying the rear speaker cables. There are 5 cables going into it 2 of which are sharing a pin.

The yellow connector is purely for the rear pre-outs, not speaker outputs.
You have left & right signal, left & right screens sharing a pin and a remote on 12v trigger (to switch the amp on).

Andy fancy paying me a visit? Ha! This is winding me up because I cant seem to get anything out of the speakers or the rear sub. If I could get one or the other I'd be reasonably happy.

I had same problem with mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a "clever" HU. All sorted now tho. But my sub isnt wired in. Anybody know a quick way of wiring it, i havent got any pre-outs on the HU.
Cheers
Alex

My rear speakers are literally hard wired into my front speakers. Not exactly the right way to go around it. But it works, and how many songs do u listen to that actually play music through just the back speakers.
Alex

Andy can you identify the rear speaker cables for me? If I could just figure out which ones are the rears I could probably get things working.

There are no rear speaker cables. The rear speakers run off the amp inside the sub in the boot. The rear speaker cables are on the red connector on the sub. The rear pre-outs are on the yellow connector at the HU, these connect up to the RCA's on the HU and feed the rear amp. You need to check you're getting 12v on the blue flying lead.
A photo of the back of the HU wiring would be useful.

I am officially the biggest ******! I was looking at it wondering why there was nothing and when I checked the wiring diagrams one of the red/white wires had been cut and wasnt getting power, as soon as I connected that to the power it kicked in with sub and rear speakers working perfectly! I used the pre-outs on the sub and it seems to be splitting between the rear speakers and sub so all good! Thanks alot for the help AndyMac, much appreciated, if your ever around Hertfordshire I'll buy you a pint :)