1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker "popping noise" from front

Ultravox Aug 19, 2011

1. Ultravox

Ultravox New Member

I hope someone can help me! (My car is a A3 TDI 2.0 R4 on a 54 plate)

I recently had a strange smell comming from my air con. So I took out the pollen filter and used a foaming air-con cleaner to clean out all the vents etc.
    Then of course I replaced the pollen filter and put it all back to how it was.
    Since then I have heard a strange popping noise from the front....on further inspection I got even more confused because I could hear this even with the head unit switched off!!
    So I took out the head unit and pulled the plug on the front speakers which has eliminated the "popping noise".
    All I can think of is when cleaning the vents either side of the centre speaker I have damaged or disturbed some wiring....
    If anyone can shed some light on this any help would be appreciated.
    I presume (considering the front speaker plug on the stereo has four wires (front left & front right) that the wiring is split somewhere else to go to the front tweaters & centre speaker? and do they go to a seperate amp for the front?
    The next thing I am going to try is to disconnect each speaker in turn to try to find out which one...but i'm unsure if its a speaker or some wiring that has been disturbed near the blower motor.
    :banghead:

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

TBH iirc audi use an air system that neutralises the bacteria that causes the smelly aircon, may either be a coincidence or you have got some connections wet, I'd wait a few more days see if it goes away, as may need to dry out or do as you say remove speakers to trace it through.