Speaker options for S3?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
After putting up with my Bose set up sounding less than great, ive decided its time to do something about it.
Ive now worked out that the drivers door tweeter doesnt work at all and the mid speaker in the same door is sounding rough.
This maybe as said before be down to the amp,
But im thinking of changing the speakers too,
I know i will need adapters to fit new after market items
i know the fronts are 13cm items? but how deep can they be?
The rears are 16.5cm ? is depth an issue with these?
Do people have any recomendations?
Im thinking of using a Boston amp to run the front and rear speakers or maybe an orion amp i have been offered.

I used 'Focal 130VR' for the front and 'Focal 165CA1' for the rear. You will need some adapters to fit any speakers, as audi don't make it easy for you. AndyMac can supply the adapters for you and advise you on additional things you might need.

One more thing, the speakers you buy in the shop have different impedance rating to the OEM Bose stuff, which makes the whole system very difficult to upgrade in parts, so I replaced the whole lot.

Last edited:
I have already got a JL audio sub fitted. Its not the custom sub enclosure but it sounds nice

I used 'Focal 130VR' for the front and 'Focal 165CA1' for the rear. You will need some adapters to fit any speakers, as audi don't make it easy for you. AndyMac can supply the adapters for you and advise you on additional things you might need.

One more thing, the speakers you buy in the shop have different impedance rating to the OEM Bose stuff, which makes the whole system very difficult to upgrade in parts, so I replaced the whole lot.

Did you use the mdf adapters or the plastic auto leads ones?
I must admit im not looking forward to doing this. But i realy enjoy good music when im in the car

Did you use the mdf adapters or the plastic auto leads ones?
I must admit im not looking forward to doing this. But i realy enjoy good music when im in the car

I'm the same when it comes to music - like it sounding nice, but don't obsess about bass and watts... AndyMac makes some nice MDF adapters and I used those, as well as his custom sub enclosure. I did have to dremel bits of the adapters off, as the fit was not 100%, but it was a 5 minute job TBH. Another key to good sound is plenty of sound deadening behind and around the speakers - makes an enormous difference to the sound.

Do you have an aftermarket HU?

Yes.
The car came with an Alpine DVD head unit already installed.