1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark Plug Removal Problems....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S4 Muzza, Jan 11, 2013.

1. S4 Muzza

S4 Muzza oww! my giant blue head!

[Jan 11, 2013]
    I'm in a pickle.

Tried to remove the spark plugs last night, removed all the gunk from above 3 & 4, coil packs out, plug socket in and boom, nothing. Couldnt budge them. Not a sausage. Now i've read contradicting threads, some say you are best to remove when the engine is warm, others say cold. Engine was reasonably warm at the time, anyone got a conclusive answer for this??

What are my options if they wont budge? I have a fairly annoying misfire around 3000rpm so they need to go, no option. Do i just go hell for leather and face having to remove the head??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Alex_Dubz

Alex_Dubz New Member

[Jan 11, 2013]
    I had the same problem when i bought my AGU and wanted to check for compression. You need to create a bigger leverage to your tool and slowly undo the spark plug. Do it as slow as you can until it moves, otherwise there is a risk of cracking your cylinder head. When installing the plugs back, put some copper paste on the threads and tight them up to the specific torque for your engine.
  4. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 11, 2013]
    Engine warm and then just go for it. That or take it into a garage(who will do the same)
  5. S4 Muzza

S4 Muzza oww! my giant blue head!

[Jan 11, 2013]
    Alex, i had a decent amount of leverage, certainly wouldnt have thought i'd need any more. I even had my dad involved, and both of us together couldnt budge them. That cant be right!

Lewis, i assumed if i took it to a garage they'd have one bash at it, realise they were stuck in there and give up before they did any damage!

Clearly the last person to change them was a clown.
  6. Darren4

Darren4 Member

[Jan 11, 2013]
    I tried to get mine out when the engine was warm, but no go. I then had a go in the morning when it was cold and bingo :). Maybe use a bigger tool as well.