1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spark plug issue !!!

m19lte May 18, 2013

1. m19lte

m19lte Member

I have a bam engined 8l s3 running -
    *cus code stage 1
    *3" dp + decat
    *badger 5 - 3" tip
    *forge 008 dv

It runs sweet as a nut approx 280 bhp (apparently, according to r/r + torque obd)
    The spark plus were due a change as 1 of them had more or less fell apart at the spark/ceramic end causing a miss fire. So I ordered the colder running ngkbkr7e and gapped them to 0.7 mm.
    The car ran OK, if a little lumpy then miss fired quite bad at 3k rpm. So I promptly changed back to standard original ones, miss fire is now gone. Any ideas what the prob is with the ngks ? When I pulled them out after 5 min they all had a white powdery coating/spark/burn marks on the spark end.

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

White plugs are to lean fuel mate....investigate pump?

3. m19lte

m19lte Member

As i said mate, the car ran/runs fine with standard plugs, so i cant see it being any other issue than the ngk plugs. But it was a recomended mod on here (on a remaped car) to put the colder running ngk's in and gap them to 0.7mm ! rather than buying another set of plugs id rather try n save the ngk's, even if i have to regap them again.

4. m19lte

m19lte Member

Any help anyone ? Is is likely that gapping the ngk's back to 0.8mm will solve this ?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

copper plugs gapped at 0.8mm are suitable for the TFSI coils