1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark plug experts please

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Jp-tqs, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Changed my spark plugs on my 1.8t bex today, all went well. My question is.... from the pic is this a healthy spark plug i removed? And also how much oil is acceptable where the SP sits? Ie, looking down in to the apperture before removing the plug there was a small collection of oil. Not loads just a few drops sat on a machined shoulder.
    Bosch super 4's went back in, done my air filter too. Car got some love today!

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

[​IMG]
    Forgot to add pic! ^^^

4. T0m

T0m Active Member

mate sounds like your rocker cover gasket is on its way out, thats what happened to mine didnt take the plugs out though and when i swapped mine out the other week they were dry no signs of oil penetrating into the plugs and I changed my gasket last summer.

5. demus

demus Fire in the hole..

I would say from that plug the engine is fairly healthy.. its hard to read a plug nowadays cos there is nothing decent left in the fuel..
    Tip colouring is gentle throttle, colour deep in the plug is full throttle, timing can be read from the earth electrode, plugs can tell you everything..

6. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

as above thats a nice healty running motor

and change your rocker cover gasket and all will be well with the oil the last thing you want is for the oil to earth the plug cap and cause the car to stop

7. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Thanks for the replies, it runs sweet except for the first few seconds of start up on cold mornings. Engine shakes on its mounts like its gonna fall out for about a second then all is fine. Its hard to describe though.

8. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

thats just because its a cold arse :D

9. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Well-Known Member

Plugs look good.
    Re poor cold start. Check to see if you have the old black coolant temp sensor if you have replace it with a genuine revised green Vag CTS.

10. DWH

DWH Member

I've got the same Bosch FR7KPP33+ plugs on my 2003 standard 1.8T . What gap should they be ?
    I've also got the same issue with oil so I'll be replacing the rocker cover gasket in the very near future.
    Cheers
    David

11. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

Our BEX engined car runs much better with a new CTS i can't believe it

12. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

im no expert but imo the plug looks too clean on the insulator. should be lightly tanned . So i looked it up and my answer would be a shameless copy from another source.

A clean white insulator firing tip and/or excessive electrode erosion. This is often caused by advanced ignition, timing, poor engine cooling efficiency, lean air/fuel mixture, or leaky intake.

Check the plugs correct, fit some good quality ones and check correct gaps, makes all the difference in turbo cars, more boost = smaller gap too.

13. DWH

DWH Member

Is the CTS also an issue on B6 cars ? Are there different versions of the green one ?

14. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

x2 - part number / location advice too please - -

Thanks, Mike.

15. DWH

DWH Member

I found this article, written in the states.

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Can anyone in the UK confirm that the green one can / should be used to replace a "normal" 2003 B6 version
    Are the electrical connectors the same ?
    Thanks
    David

16. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Well-Known Member

Connectors are the same. Use a genuine VAG green CTS only or you'll be buying twice.