Spark plug electrode missing - help

galashan

Reaction score
I had the engine management light flickered on my audi a3 2.0 fsi 05 plate for around 10-15 seconds a few days ago when i began to move off from starting the car and then was fine after that and drove fine once, that happened a few mornings but only when it was cold, i called up greenflag to come take a look and they said that cylinder 2 was misfiring and they thought it was the coilpack, so i rang up Audi Main Dealer and as the coil packs had been changed last july they were under warranty still (due to recall 28e9) so i had the greenflag to tow the car to Audi for them to take a look.

got the call yesterday that apparently they removed the ignition coils and spark plugs and on cylinder 2 when they removed the spark plug the electrode was missing and they suspected it was in the cylinder which was causing the fault, they quoted it would take 7 hours labour to remove, diagnose and reinstall the head and the cost would be 781.20 inc vat just to take a look? thats not neccessarily to actaully fix it just to take a look ????

ive just gone to pickup the car to bring it home to get another garage to have a look and i go to turn on the car and the car now wont start at all, the coil packs are there but im guessing they might have removed the sparkplugs so that i cant move the car at all, i got the car towed back to my home, but should they have removed all the sparkplugs or done something else so i cant start the car at all ??? is this common practice ???

they haven't actually showed me the spark plug that is apparently missing the electrode though or anything either

whats worse is on the final corner home whilst being towed my car hit the car that was towing it and my bonnet has a slight dent in it now which either needs banging out or replacing which im not looking forward too now either.

Any help or advice would be great

Galashan, looks like you had bunch of hurt. First thing is the the garage should indeed have shown you the faulty plug, so demand to see it. Second, they should have not taken the plugs out without telling you. So, here is my suggestion. Take out, or get someone to take out the ignition coils to check if the plug(s) are still there. Then try to find a garage who has a borescope. See this web page for exampe: http://gradientlens.com/? gclid=CND8s7SHjrYCFfLLtAod6zsAtg This is an instrument that can be inserted into the number 2 cylinder sparkplug hole, and allows the operator to see inside the cylinder. Perhaps the sparkplug electrode is still in there, or perhaps it has been blown out of the exhaust valve. Also, the operator will be able to look for any damage to the piston and/or cylinder walls/ valves or injector. From that examination, it should be possible to work out the next step. If there is no damage, and the electrode is still bouncing around in there, it may even be possible to remove it through the sparkplug hole. If there is no damage, and no electrode bits, then perhaps you could risk a new set of plugs and start her up. But first get this confirmed by a good engine mechanic. Best I can do. Good luck.

Reactions: autolatry
The bit of plug electrode probably blew out of the exhaust. Happened often in the old days, rare now though.....
If it was doing any damage, you would probably have heard a light tapping.

I wouldn't even contemplate starting it, until confirmed its empty as such, do as suggested.

happened to me on my bocanegra. complained at garage and they replaced the engine under warranty.

I know this is not much help but just thought i would let you know that you are not the only one.