1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare wheel

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Olajide, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Olajide

Olajide New Member

Hi
    I'm changing the 16 wheels on my A4 Avant FSI 2003 to 18 wheels. The problem is that I'm getting five wheels. Am afraid the spare 18 wheel might not fit into the spare wheel hold at the bottom rear of the boot.

Has anyone got 18teens in their spare wheel hold? I just want to know if this will fit b4 I buy 5 instead of four.
  2. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

In theory the diameter of the new wheels with tyres should be the same diameter as the old wheels. The rim might be 2 inches bigger, but the side wall of the tyre will be lower, which means that it should fit in - diameter wise at least. You'll need to measure the depth of the wheel well, but a 235 mm width wheel fits comfortably, and I can't imagine the 18's being too much wider.
  3. pedro61163

pedro61163 Member

got 18" spare in boot no probs
  4. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

As mentioned you need to keep the rolling diameter the same so it shouldn't make any difference.

For what it's worth S4's have 18" as standard.
  5. JGrant1285

JGrant1285 Sir Scouser Benitez

My current spares a 19", so you shouldn't have no probs
  6. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

The term you are looking for is rolling radius, and yes it should be the same as the profile of the tyre should be lowered to match the rim size. Otherwise your speedo will read wrong and your car's performance will suffer!