1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southbend Performance clutch & SMF

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by akash_sky1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 21, 2010]
    Hi as you can see from my sig my clutch is starting to give way, and is slipping under load from low-ish revs ie in the meat of the torque curve.
    Been looking at prices and what needs changing, for the Sachs uprated Organic clutch and pressure plate & OEM DMF fitted looks like it will be over £1400 I think, this can handle around 400 lb fts I think.

However for slightly less I've been considering a Southbend Performance clutch Stage 2: Daily rated at 450 lb ft torque and it comes with a lightened SMF. I know the SMF will be noiser but this will be much more durable then a DMF and the reduced weight will only help acceleration. I may plan on going BT in the future so this would be more then enough.
    http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/3707/20-tsi-performance-clutch-stage-2-daily-with-smf
    £902 incl VAT from JBS -
    I have done one 1/4 mile, plan to do more in the future and do some hard road driving too now and then so this looks like it will do the job. I will keep the car atleast a year i think so no point in fitting a standard item back on.

There is also a company in Leeds called CG-Motorsports but their fast road clutches are only claimed to cope with 25% more torque, which is less then what I am now, they do Paddle clutches also but I don't want an On-Off switch for a clutch . The thing that makes me consider them is even for a bespoke clutch and SMF or SMF it would be much cheaper- for the 1.8T fast road clutch & SMF is only £345.00 and they do make clutches for drag racing so they dont seem that *****.

Thoughts?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 21, 2010]
    hmmm I wonder; if my thread was on wrapping my door handles or something I'd probably get more response on a site like this :p
    Will see what VAGOC is saying...
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  4. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Jul 21, 2010]
    What colour are you doing the door handles?:undwech:
  5. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Southbend have a good reputation in the diesel tuning market but if you buy it from JBS even if they fit it don`t expect any type of warranty no matter what they say.
  6. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 22, 2010]

i was thinking of using them but have not heard great press on here from them- although not many specific reasons why, guessing there aftersales care is pretty lame?
  7. devonmikeyboy

[Jul 22, 2010]
  8. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Well that leaves the question..where else in the uk do I get a Southbend clutch & SMF from! Seems like they were the only place..?
  9. devonmikeyboy

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Nothing stopping you ordering it from the states. Best email South Bend ans ask them about UK/European distrubitures. I am running a Spec stage 3+ in both my A3 and R32 which is also a very good clutch rated at 517lb. They do clutches for my cars up to 1200lb triple plate clutches.
  10. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Yeah I was looking at ordering it from BSH speedshop but once you figure in shipping for such a heavy item and customs duty price is about the same or more expensive. I might order it form JBS and just get my local garage to to fit it.
    How is the engagement of your Spec and what FW are you using? cheers
  11. devonmikeyboy

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Spec 3+ on both my cars is a very easy clutch to use in traffic with no sudden bite point. It`s very OEM feel to it. I run it with a steel SMF on both cars which on the diesel Audi rattle like hell in neutral but on the R32 there is only a very faint ticking noise. Spec do make a very light aluminium SMF but to me that flywheel is too light and gives no momentum plus ally flywheels are a lot more prone to heat damage and mechanical failure.
  12. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 22, 2010]
    Where did u get yours from?
    Ive seen backdraft motorsport are listed as a dealer...( and they also do a well price all inclusive Ko4 conversion hmmm! )
  13. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 23, 2010]
    bump..did u have to import it then mikeyboy?
  14. devonmikeyboy

[Jul 23, 2010]
    Sorry my last post must have got lost on the ASN screwy server. Yes i imported it but had it sent to a friend in the states who posted it to me. It`s easy to buy stuff direct from the states these days but working out import/VAT tax etc gets complicated.