1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Just reading a few threads that mentioned the Soundaktor, a device mounted behind the dash that artificially boosts the engine note, using the bodywork as a soundboard.

Under what conditions is this device operating on any level? Is it just with drive select in Dynamic or is there a certain level there in other modes? I tend to drive around with DS in Auto and knock the S-tronic into S mode when I want to get a move on. Does the Soundaktor come into play here? What about in Manual? Car is an A3 Sportback quattro S-tronic, if that has a bearing on the answer.

Is there a dedicated fuse I can pull? I came from a Civic Type-R, a very loud and wearing car to drive for any length of time due to the cabin noise levels. The last thing I need in my lovely new Audi is something artificially adding more noise!

2. gtiller

gtiller Active Member TeamMisano Gold Supporter Audi S3

In individual mode, you can also adjust the engine sound.

Even on 'loud' it's pretty unobtrusive to be honest with you!

I had an Integra Type R (a 1999 B18C6) years ago which I loved, but ultimately got rid of because of the drone on the motorway. This really doesn't even start to compare!

3. RossR

RossR Active Member

Isn't this an S3 only thing?

4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon

Yes it is...

5. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Thanks all! :)

6. kenny_boon

kenny_boon Active Member

have it in our octavia aswell. its an odd thing lol

7. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Google it and I think a lot of people seem to find the car better to drive without it. The system used on the S3 will be similar I would have thought to all the other VAG cars using this.

Soundkator - Fake engine sound - Page 2

Karl.

8. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon

9. Soulboy

Soulboy Well-Known Member

Does it differ in the manual to S-tronic?

And can it be turned off?

I have got a manual S3 which I drive in dynamic. I would like to hear the engine rather than any fakery. It's a bit like wearing a snide Rolex IMO.

I would also love to swap the quad exhaust for a pair of nice oval ones as well. They also feel a bit fake on a 4 pot to me.

Do love the car by the way!

10. danilotto

danilotto Active Member Audi S3

Hi all,

I have to say that on my S3 I notice NO difference between dynamic and comfort engine sound setting.