1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound on starting

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jb0o, Nov 27, 2009.

1. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor

I have a 2004 A3 1.6FSI (the one with the timing chain)..

When I start it up when its cold, or when its been left a while, a sound like a chain turning occurs for about 2 seconds, then stops completely.

I'm assuming this would be the timing chain?..

I've searched and I found a guy with an S4 asked the same question and he got told it shouldnt be a problem.. is this true?

Quite worried as I know how pricey the timing chains are to be replaced.. also had a service less than 3k miles ago!

2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

AFAIK its just the slack being taken up tbh mate, my S4 B6 did this but was never a problem, but others may comment
  3. ru4shaw

ru4shaw Member

got exactly the same problem, but when i start the car with the clutch down it doesnt seem to happen as much
  4. jb0o

Thanks for the replies, I'm assuming its the same thing that happens when cars 'screech' on start-up, assuming the screech sound is from the timing belt?
  5. jb0o

How long have you had this problem?

I'll have to try with the clutch!
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Screech sound can also be related to the compressor for air con system, had that on my S3 8L & others have reported similar experiences on startup from non use using econ mode all the time, but only momentary noise of 1-2 secs.
  7. Scotties

Scotties Member

I had an intermittent clattering noise on the startup of my 53 plate S4, I don't know if this is the type of noise you hear. This was followed by a fault similar to a coil pack failure. I had the RAC out and they couldn't find a coil fault so I took it to the Audi garage. They couldn't figure out what the problem was, nor could the experts from the warranty company or an expert from Audi (I don't mean the garage when I say Audi). In the end they changed the engine costing the warranty company £10k. After a month I finally got the car back but it never drove the same again.

If I came across this noise again I would live with it while I had a warranty unless I had the car for less than 30 days and could change it for a different car. If the engine developed a further fault like my S4 did I would get it fixed and trade it in asap. I would want another car where the engine had been replaced. Thats based on my experience, others may advise something different.
  8. ru4shaw

ru4shaw Member

ive had the sound for about a month, when i put the clutch down it will only happen once every ten times on start up if that but sometimes if you listen carefully you can hear it wants to make that noise but it dosent if that makes sence
  9. AntDub

AntDub Member

same problem mate, had it in the garage and yeh its the timing chain, its just a little slack due to useage, its something to do with oil pressure and bearings or somthing or another, when the oil pressure goes up it stops, i.e when you have had it running and turn it off, then restart it doesnt happen...

start worrying when it lasts longer than 2 seconds and its ALOT louder, that was my mechanics advice :) also for you info its 90 quid for all the bits, chain, bolts, tensioners etc from audi, and around 100 pounds labour up this end,

hope that helps!