Sound Insulation

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
After two years, I have finally had enough of the road roar on my car. It's a 99 facelift A4 2.8Q Tiptronic saloon with (I think) the sports supension. The rear tyres in particular are very sensitive to road surfaces, and on anything less than perfect new tarmac, the roar is deafening.

Even with a full swap out of the ICE, with Kenwood Dual-Mags at the back, the road noise still ovre- powers it unless I turn it up to ear-busting levels. But the thing is, I don't want to do that, as all it does is create a noise competition, and leave me knackered after a long journey.

So, I have got to find a way of lowering the road noise. I have been wondering whether the answer is to have the whole car stripped (seats, carpets, door cards & boot linings all out) and then every surface coated in Brown Bread.

Has anyone got any advice on how big a job this is, how much it might cost (it's not something I fancy tackling myself) and, most importantly, whether it will work?

Alternatively, if anyone else has had this problem with a simialr spec model, and has found a different solution (new shocks, perhaps?), please let me know. I love this car, and don't want to get rid of it, but i have GOT to sort that noise out somehow.

Cheers, guys.

I didnt think the A4 was too bad for road/tyre noise but depends what your comparing against. some good info can be read here ... i think dynamat bulk pack is going for around £140, dunno if it would have the desired affect or how much it would cost to fit but i wouldnt have thought too cheap ..

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=58457

Michelin Pilot Primacy all round, chosen specifically for their low noise properties.

If you do get dynamat bulk pack get it from States (there is a US ebay seller)

Much cheaper