sound card help needed

bigblokey0

Reaction score
just bought a 5.1 surround sound card model number cm18738 the card works ok however when i come to shut down the pc it reboots instead of shutting down if i remove the card everything goes back to normal any ideas?

try sticking the card in a different pci slot, and checking all the jumpers on the sound card.

I'm guessing its one of the cheap £10 things? Sometimes they can cause stupid issues like this. Also check your onboard sound(if you have it) is disabled both at the bios and through any onboard jumpers.

thanks for the quick reply it is one of them cheapo ones yes, there are no jumpers on the sound card and where would they be on my motherboard ?

There might not be any for the sound on your motherboard, you would really need to download the manual for it to check.

It might be something you'll just have to live with to be honest - it sounds like a minor hardware conflict, you may find that reseating it in another slot does the trick for you.

right ive tried it in another pci slot and ive disabled the onboard sound in the bios but ive still got the problem i have however found the onboard jumpers theres six do i just unplug them all ?

noooooooooo dont do that

you need to look in the manual for the motherboard, then change only the relevant jumpers(usually by leaving just one pin covered or a different combination of pins)

Dont go changing them without knowing which ones to touch or ull mess up your board mate

One word answer NO! jumpers do all sorts of different things and removing them could even wipe the bios settings.

If its a modern motherboard then it will be settings jumper free. Maybe the sound card isn't compatible or the drivers you have for it are not the latest ones.
Not all sound cards are compatible with all motherboards

Yeah, it sounds like something you'll have to live with - the drivers are worth a try although shouldnt really be the problem as your issue occurs when the pc is effectively clear of windows and no drivers are loaded.

I was thinking that but normally with a hardware conflict it just won't work, in my experience anyway. I could be wrong.

Try typing shutdown -s in the run command and see if it reboots then.

i tried the shutdown-s command but it just rebooted ive looked in the manual for the jumper settings but its just got a diagram of the jumpers and how there setup now

Ok dont touch your jumpers, it was kinda clutching at straws anyway and defo not a good idea to mess about with them if you dont know what ur doin.

Try updating your drivers, and your machine's bios(you may need to download a program to a floppy to do this, and follow the instructions carefully)

After that im pretty much out of ideas, either just leave it like that or see if you can get another card.

did you use the drivers from the CD ?

might be worth going to the manufactuers website and seeing if there are any updated ones. even if you cant tell, download the most recent ones for your soundcard model. sounds like a driver issue to me

Do the usual spyware and antivirus scans just for good measure too :)