sort of droning noise from the rear end.

205man

Reaction score
my car seems too make a sort of droning noise when going along from the rear, but doesnt seem to do it when cold and it only does it after i have driven it for say a couple of miles, but could be me just thinking it

it doesnt change pitch and just seems to be this drone, that although not that loud become s obvious if the radio is off or low

so any ideas? could it be wheel bearing or poss rear diff? although i certainley cant see any signs of the diff leaking, i know the front diff has a very small drip when it gets very hot after long drives.

would having dropped the suspension bit more than the standard sport stuff that was fitted mae a difference?

i was going to sell it but now decided as its never let me down and ive had it for so long and i dont really need a new car lol im going to keep it, and i think id miss it.

so really would like to sort out the little irritations.

oh its done 130,000 and i know the bearings never been done since ive had it nor in the full audi service in the first owner.

Sounds like a bearing mate.

Starts doing it when warm at first, will eventually be constant.

Jack the rear up and shake wheel side to side, then top to bottom, any play will point to bearing. You can fill it with grease for a temp fix till you get one sorted, but dont leave it long.

i have had bearings that droned with noticeable movement when jacked up and no change in tone when steering

i would check for noice when spinning by hand as well

Unfortunately theres almost never any play in roller bearings until they're so knackered they're about to disintegrate.

I've had a few fail, including one on my brothers S4 that sounded like a 50cc moped was mounted in the boot and was being revved up as you drove along. None of them had any detectable play.

What you will find, is if you spin the wheel you can hear the roughness. Unfortunately if its in the very early stages you'll struggle to hear it over the drag from the brakes.

130k is getting to be around the mileage they fail at, so it might be an idea just to bite the bullet and replace both rear bearings and be done with it.

I'd suggest you check the level in both the diff and the gearbox. I've ruined the box in my saloon because that "slight drip" over a prolonged period resulted in a litre of oil going missing from the box, and it now whines and is extremely rough to engage gears even thouh i've filled it back up.

cheers guys im on holiday for few days so ill check it out then.

i do top up the front diff every couple months if it needs it, is the rear diff easy to check? and does it use same oil.

ive got the auto/trip gearbox and i dont think checking the oil in that is easy is it, and arent they filled for "life"?

how hard is it to swap the rear bearings on a quattro, i know ill need use of a press to get them in/out.