Sooty pipes!

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed but the 3.2 motors seems to really blacken the old tall pipes after drinking a tank of it favourite tipple - optimax?

I am doing about 1.5 tanks per week.

Is this happening to anyone else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed but the 3.2 motors seems to really blacken the old tall pipes after drinking a tank of it favourite tipple - optimax?

I am doing about 1.5 tanks per week.

Is this happening to anyone else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they stopped putting Lead in petrol we all get sooty black pipes...diesel or otherwise.

i find that after a while,the bumper around the tailpipes gets a bit black and sooty,

Sooty pipes, i havent noticed, im sure this means the engine is running lean ?

Had this on a Impreza Type R a few years back, lots of soot, i was very concerned at the time, had it remapped etc etc.

But all i do is blast the soot off with the PReasssure washer and smile to myself that the car hasnt a Laggy Turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and its in warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and it needs no mods to make it :
a: Stop quicker
b: Accelerate faster
c: upgrade the stereo
d: Buy bigger wheels
e: Lower the suspension
f: Stiffen the suspension

Its great out of the box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmm, running lean... I'll keep an eye on the situation. I thought sootiness would be related to how much oil the engine was buring. I'll check later but I had to top her up last week too.

But I really concur with you there S-line works great right out of the box!

And it actually has some suspension - so it can give some comfort & rides sleeping policeman rather well. In my last car the suspension was so low the cat (feline) had trouble getting under it.

On a similar topic who else gets a ghostly tinkling on engine warm up. I guessing its coming from the cats (exhaust), there's a definite jingle bells thing going on there. If you swtch off the stereo and ac you'll hear it.

And another thing, what goes on with the ac unit? It makes all manner of knocks and ticks on warm up? So much so, some times I switch it off until engine's warmed up.

Had a loaner sportsback with the same ac unit as mine and it did exactly the same thing.

I get funny noises from the a\c when warming up, like you say, knock noises, almost like something is expanding. Always done it.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats about what £80 a week in petrol?

[/ QUOTE ]

when I had my r32 and was traveling to the ffice everyday I used to put 4 tanks a week of optimax in it - Ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Fortunately I was often able to wrk from home 2 days a week which meant only 3...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thats about what £80 a week in petrol?

[/ QUOTE ]

when I had my r32 and was traveling to the ffice everyday I used to put 4 tanks a week of optimax in it - Ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Fortunately I was often able to wrk from home 2 days a week which meant only 3...

[/ QUOTE ]

My god you single handed kept the Arabs in business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif