1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony stereo and the back speakers not workin

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rik_t2005, Apr 29, 2009.

1. rik_t2005

rik_t2005 New Member

just put a sony stereo in my 8l cuz someone has tuck the audi 1 out and the back speaker r not workin any1 no why
  2. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

not sure why, but a friend of mine tried a sony cd/mpg player in his 8L A3, and just like you, the rear speakers didn't work. Only the fronts.

the sub in the back also didnt work, although I'm not sure the rear speakers are linked to it.
  3. alijames

alijames Active Member

Sounds like you both have the standard non-bose system in the A3 which uses a separate amp in the sub enclosure to power the rear speakers, and IIRC the sub, while powering the fronts off the head-unit's amp. If you change the head unit, then the feed to this external amp is no more, so you have 2 basic options:

1. Run new cables from the rear speakers back to the rear amplified outputs on the new head unit

2. Buy a cabling adaptor that goes behind the head unit to send the signals back to the Audi amp in the sub enclosure in the boot, although the standard amp is low powered compared to the head unit's built-in amp, so you are better off with option 1.

There are other more exotic options, like a new amp and an AndyMac stealth sub, but all that requires some more new cabling, and costs money naturally. Depends what you are after and what you are prepared to spend.

A search on the forums for 'a3 rear speakers' brings up plenty of discussion on this sort of problem.

Cheers,
  4. reptor245

reptor245 Active Member

you cant just chuck in a sony head unit without the correct adapters. you need one of these
    [​IMG]

I had the excat same problem but this kit sorted it.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/audi/A3.htm

simple solution without all the ****.
  5. rik_t2005

rik_t2005 New Member

thanks every1 ive put some 6x9 in the rear cards and powered them of a new amp but thanks 4 the help