1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I have JUST noticed after 2 years of ownership!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ads, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Ads

Ads License to drive

As per the title, I have only just noticed something that has literally been right in front of my eyes for ages!
    Its to do with how the front wipers work.

If I put the wiper stalk in the first click position (i.e. one click after the 'off' position) and then drive, my wipers wipe at an even and constant back and forth, say once every second.
    But if I stop my car then they automatically switch to an intermittent motion... i.e. one wipe every few seconds.

I'm assuming its supposed to do this and I just haven't noticed it for two years.

Anybody else noticed this???

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

Haven't really noticed it, but was aware that they did it. My mate's old E46 320 did the same thing and he used to slag off my 8L for not doing it. It's along the same lines as the AVLS (or whatever the Audi acronym is) that drops the radio/stereo volume as you slow down or, more accurately, increases the volume as you speed up.

It's just so the wipers don't get really annoying when you don't need them as much (less rain hitting the window when you're stopped, and you aren't exactly going to run into anything if its not cleared for a few seconds) and also lessens unnecessary wear on the blades.

4. 1inchpunch

1inchpunch Member

You just noticed this after 2 years?

You have failed the observation test. Please place your license in an envelope marked DVLA Swansea. :asskicking:

5. Ads

Ads License to drive

Its not my fault. We don't get much rain in East London. :sorry:

6. Paullie

Paullie Banana Menace!
    VCDS Map User

Lol, I noticed this the first day I got my car, ..we get way too much rain up here! :)

7. Ads

Ads License to drive

The closest I came to noticing this was a few months ago............

I was driving and switched on my wipers to the first position and they did the constant wiping motion. I thought to myself "I'm sure the last time I put it in this position the wipers were intermittent".

A few weeks later I put them in the same first position when I was parked up and thought to myself "I'm sure the last time I put it in this position the wipers were constant".....

Then some bird with a short skirt walked past and I didn't think about the wipers again until today.

8. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

Lucky swine

9. Harrelson

Harrelson Member

also if you turn off the car with the wipers on, next time you start the car the wipers will be off but in the "ON" position

10. The Engineer

The Engineer Member

I also noticed if they are in the int. (mode or any mode really) with the rear wiper in the "OFF" position,
    put it in reverse it will wipe the rear window.

First time it did it I thought "I didn't put the rear wiper on!" while franticly trying to turn it off. :sadlike:
    A very confusing 30 seconds... :sorry:

11. rOb_A

rOb_A Active Member

this made me laugh after a poo day at work. thanks 1inch !!

12. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS
    Team Daytona

I've been amazed at how many features the wipers have. Like the way the last of the 3 wipes when you squirt you washer jets is slower on the way down so you don't get that annoying splash of water.
    I still like the way they park in a different position each time. I always try to turn them off when it parks in the lowest position so you can't see the wipers at all from inside the car. Also in my mind they'll be more aerodynamic, but in reality I don't think it makes any difference.
    And I turned on the feature to get the extra delayed wipe on the rear screen when you use the washer on that too.

God this sounds nerdy!

13. rOb_A

rOb_A Active Member

yep.... think you have gone very nerdy :p get talking about how fast cars and women in skimpy clothes! (sorry ladies, no offence intended)